Little_RED
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Hermit crab streaking and inactive but not laying down

Post by Little_RED »

Hello, I've been trying to search for what may be happening but I am at a loss. I have 3 small hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank with eco earth as bedding and keep the humidity between 70 to 80 and the temp at 72-75. My smallest crab I found streaking this morning. This is not the first time she has done this but ever since she came up from underground she has been acting odd. SHe first came up streaking but I got her in her shell as soon as I caught her doing it. The next day she picked a different shell but I swear its way to small for her. She can't get in all the way but she picked that over the one I had her go in. She then later changed to a slightly bigger shell but its still too small. She doesn't move a lot and never goes in her shell anymore. Shes always out. Its been like this for some weeks but today I saw she was out of her shell again. Shes standing not just laying but she won't go back in like she did last time. I used the glass cup method. I also noticed a molting sack. She is just standing there. I really am at a loss.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hermit crab streaking and inactive but not laying down

Post by appps »

That is strange, normally its a sign of stress but nothing in your post stands out to me as being wrong with the temp or humidity.

Have you done a close inspection of the substrate to make sure there are no mites etc causing stress?

You could also try taking out all the shells already in there, boil them all to sterilise, let them cool (obviously lol) and then offering them again. For some reason Ive noticed mine will treat old not good enough for them shells that have been re-sterilised as if they have never seen them before and suddenly perfectly good.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

It sounds a lot like my Toodles before she passed, so I hope your crab has taken a shell back. Offer lots of high-energy, high-calcium, and high-protein foods and hope for the best.

To clarify: what do you mean by "not laying down"? Crabs don't exactly lay down, and dead crabs aren't "laying down" most of the time - they're usually in what would look like a standing position.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

With the temp as you mentioned, have yuo also taken the substrate temp, or is this the substrate temp? On rare occasions if a shell is making the hermie uncomfortable due to the puffiness of molting they will streak in attempt to become more comfortable. Have you calibrated your humidity gauge for accuracy?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.