Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Re: Another newbie Mistake...

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

No worries (: I did some research and found a website that I think is Australian that had a lot of info on shell species. I did have to email them a picture as I couldnt find the shell on the site but got a quick response and learned they are drupa shells (:

I also found an ebay user that sells them :D I did purchase some new shells, A lot of phaisianella shells and something that looks like a drupa shell. So far no luck on Indigo or Charlie but still have hopes (:
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

How about this for your shell search

Post by babesbarn »

I look for shells all the time. I found a couple places online that have varities from Florida USA.
My Spiderman I have had two and a half years. He arrived in a spiderman red painted shell. I found the Hermit Crab Paradise board here and learned a great deal. So immediately I picked up some shells locally and Spiderman left the shell and I threw the red one away.
It is interesting that my Jumbo likes to try on shells all the time. My Hercules waits for an opportunity to take the former shell Jumbo has when Jumbo is trying out his new "dudes".
Spiderman on the other hand found one shell that he is committee too since he changed when he arrived here and has never left it. Maybe one time he came out to try one on but went right back to his old ugly tan and green one.
Hope the link works for you. Just type into Google for online shells and you might find what you are looking for.
It is amazing to think how Shells come about too. Very interesting. XD
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 20

Could it be..

Post by babesbarn »

Murex Sea Shell is what it looks like.
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

Ladybug - I own two of those shells - about 5-6 different sized ones (: They are the ones that I recently purchased that join the other ignored shells :( Originally I only had one.

Babesbarn - I own those two, new ofcourse :D I had mostly turbans before. Those are also ignored though :( Atleast by Charlie and Indigo.

As I mentioned before the ones they seem to like are called drupa shells (: If you google that youll see thats the exact shell.
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

You asked where to get shells and I see you are in Aus. You can buy natural shells through crazy crab in WA and have them posted to you. He has a pretty good range because selling shells he collects seems to be another side business of his. I just ordered off his website.

Strangely all but one of my crabs has changed into shells that I got out of a decorative shell pack from the garden section at bunnings. The same ones as the guy in my avatar is wearing and nothing like any of them I've read they are supposed to prefer :-)
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com