rjp_1986
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Not a happy camper

Post by rjp_1986 »

Meshack, my happy go-lucky crab, can't find the right shell. Always resorts back to his old shell. This morning he changed again, switched back, now he is streaking. I layed my black th shirt over his side of the tank. The week leading up to this he had been super active, on top, eating and drinking a lot.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Not a happy camper

Post by Wai »

Did you follow the instructions as recommended by the Crab Care section? Is he still streaking at the moment? Is the tank humid enough?
Wai
rjp_1986
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rjp_1986 »

I laid that tee shirt over the tank so that I could come do some research. I began to make an iso to place in the tank. Temp and humidity are both at 75. By the time I read about and created the iso, he was in his shell. I'm leaving him alone at the moment, and keeping the tee shirt over his side of the tank. Thoughts wai?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I don't think the T-shirt is making a huge difference, but you can leave it there if you want to. It doesn't hurt to keep them in the dark for a while. Try to identify the cause of the streaking and keep an eye on him, as crabs that streak once will often streak again within the week.
Wai
rjp_1986
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rjp_1986 »

2 saturdays ago I cleaned out their tank and rotated stock of everything. Most all the shells in the dirty tank was filed with sand. Replaced and added a total of 13 shells. I figured he would find one now, but 9 days later had proved me wrong. I'll focus on identifying the problem. Wish me luck.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What species is he and when did he molt last?
And I too would suggest to triple check the perimeters of the tank... AND the substrate temps.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.