Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Apparently streaking crabs are changing shells

Post by appps »

According to my pet shop

Went in looking for a bulb and had to take a peek at the hermits while there
There was one in the corner with no shell and she said oh look one is changing shells!

I said I don't think so, they do that quickly while hanging on to the one they've got not by running round naked. I think you will find it's because it's not happy some how

Was greated by that smug better humor her cause she doesn't know what she is talking about look

So, not having experienced it myself, was she wrong or was I?
Part of me wants to go get the poor little blighter but another suspects he would possibly die anyway?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Apparently streaking crabs are changing shells

Post by Wai »

Not only do hermit crabs quickly slip into the new shell, but they don't let go of the old one that quickly either. I've seen many shell changes and usually the crabs will check their old shell a few more times before deciding to either change back into it or ditch it. A hermit crab sitting naked in the corner is NOT normal. Hermit crabs grab onto the two shells involved for dear life until they have decided whether to wear the old one or the new one.

In other words, the pet store worker is the idiot, not you.
Wai
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20

Post by babesbarn »

This is interesting because last night my Spiderman went down to check out and see where Jumbo 2 was. Jumbo 2, dug a tunnel the other day and was there. I was careful because I knew it was a possibility that Jumbo 2 could be possibly looking to molt. Or just disturbed by the still newness of the moving to another room since the weather changed.
Well, anyway, Spiderman or Jumbo 2 was making a purring for a couple hours and Spiderman was bothering Jumbo 2. This morning, I see Jumbo 2 up and about and up by the other two hermies hanging out. Then I see Spiderman later, with no shell on and left it in the distilled water dish and naked. Then he took a shell I put nearby and got inside it. Today they area all out and about and I know they enjoyed the "flax" seed I put inside the food dish along with the bread.
Spiderman always seem to be the most inquisitive. :D
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Wai, the pet store owner is an idiot. The hermie sitting in the corner was a stressed hermie!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Post by ZuZu »

I don't think that the Worker was an Idiot, although she is undoubtedly uneducated on the matter of Hermies. If I worked at a pet store for a summer job I would expect to not know the right way to care for some of the animals housed there. I actually think I would enjoy someones lectures on how to care for this or that pet, I love to learn, even if it is learning I did something wrong. ;)
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

But when a pet store hires somebody to take care of a certain animal they are to also train them how to care for them. The also are suppose to give them literature about it too for references. One employee does not take care of all the animals, they are assigned certain ones to make sure they are cared for properly.
Thing being most feel they are getting paid only X amount of $$$ per hour and do the bare minimum if that.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.