a_ariana
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 2
Total tanks: 2

My hermie wont pick a shell

Post by a_ariana »

My hermie came in a painted shell and i decited to give him peanut butter and it was stuck on him so i gave him a bath...as i took him out of the water he crawled out of his shell so i carefully put him in his cage wheres theres other shells i bought that arent painted but its been almost 24hrs and he hasnt picked one yet, what should i do im worried
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: My hermie wont pick a shell

Post by ladybug15057 »

Has he choose a shell yet? Have you read the streaking topic in the crab care section?
Some hermies were really traumatized into leaving their natural shell to take the horrid painted shells. He could be stressed and I would suggest an iso tank, plenty of appropriate shells, (this can go by species) and just leave him be so not to stress him any further. You can try once, maybe twice to encourage him to take a shell, but it is thought that more than that only stresses them even further.

Edited to add:

Triple check your tank perimeters. Humidity (test gauge) substrate and air temp.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please answer these too:
From general rules and guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4

What is the volume of your main tank?

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?

What do you feed your hermit crabs?

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?

If you are using an under tank heater, what is the highest temperature that the substrate reaches?

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Hon, what was the temperature of the water you bathed him in? Was it fresh or salt water? Was it dechlorinated tap water, distilled water, salt water, etc?

The fact that he left his shell during the bath makes me wonder about the bath itself, as usually crabs leave their shells in the tank.

Please answer Marie's questions and mine as soon as you can, the sooner you do the more likely we can help the hermie. Time is critical. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.