Crab out of shell, need some advice!

Questions about unexpected problems.
duanedyar

Crab out of shell, need some advice!

Post by duanedyar »

Hi Folks:

My first post here. I have spent most of tonight searching the Internet for some help. My son has two crabs that we have had for probably six months and the first one we bought decided to abandon his shell this afternoon.

After some research I realize a number of things we have been doing incorrectly; mainly chlorinated water, not giving them baths, not enough alternative shells, and not giving them a variety of food other than the hard crappy pellets.

That being said, I bought some non-painted shells tonight and gave both of them a bath (one with a shell, one without) with lukewarm water with a few drops of Stress Coat. I found a post where someone suggested placing the naked one in a glass with only the shell to entice him back into the shell.

I put him in the glass (I only have one habitat and put the glass in his environment hoping the familiar surroundings would assist) and put his old shell and a new one in the glass but he has not gone into either yet.

Does anyone have some advice? I have tried gently putting him at the edge of the shell and lightly tapping his/her head hoping to generate the natural defense of wanting to be in the shell but it is not taking the bait.

If you have suggestions please email me at my work account as I check that more frequently, duane.dyar@pkware.com.

Thanks in advance!

Duane
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Sorry about the late reply.

What is the temperature in the tank? What about the humidity? Is it possible if you can post a photo of the crab?

If he is still not in his shell, mist his abdomen once in a while to keep it moist. The humidity in the tank must be at least 80%. Leave him in a dark, warm place toi destress.
Wai
Hannah
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Hannah »

Dip him in dechlotinated water to keep him from dehydrating and try the cup method. If that doesnt work, gently curl his abdomen into the shell. For more info. go to http://www.hermit-crabs.com/faq.html it's got a little stuff about naked hermies.
If any problems, PM or

email an Administrator or Moderator!!!
Our site: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com
This is my sister's story- http://pages.ivillage.com/luvne
If

my advice doesn't help, PM, IM, or email me at blondey42992@yahoo.com
Thanks!!
Riven Liether
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Riven Liether »

Hannah wrote:gently curl his abdomen into the shell.
I wouldn't recommend this method. I've tried it myself (with the UTMOST care, mind you) and the poor things died right there in my hands. It's much too stressful on them to try and use even gentle force to get them into a shell; they have to be left to their own devices.
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

I put my mother's crab into a shell much too large for it normally. I did not try to get it in it's original shell. Their abdominal muscles are too strong to uncurl enough to get them in a shell the correct size without SERIOUSLY injuring your crab. If you have a nekkid crab that just /won't/ go in a shell, time is of the utmost importance. Put your crab in a shell so large that it's curled up abdomen fits inside and will prevent dehydration.
jmmc137
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: Crab out of shell, need some advice!

Post by jmmc137 »

just put him in a small container with nothing but the shell(s)
ja'wuan's crabs=sam(^=^) dylan=] annie;>
In a better place=Larry
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

jmmc137 wrote:just put him in a small container with nothing but the shell(s)
Did u realize that this is from 2005
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Chermo wrote:
Yes, I was just going to say that to. Some members here have been replying to threads that are several years old. I wouldn't call that spamming, but it's inappropriate.
Wai
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

Wai wrote:
Chermo wrote:
Yes, I was just going to say that to. Some members here have been replying to threads that are several years old. I wouldn't call that spamming, but it's inappropriate.
Is there a way to delete ones that are that old? I would say maybe have the last 2 years unless they are very important then lock them but keep them there for us incase we need it.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009