my naked crab molted

Questions about unexpected problems.
raginggnome
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Re: my naked crab molted

Post by raginggnome »

Good Ideas, thanks! None of my hideys are really the type that I could place over her, and she's more or less in the middle of the tank, but nonetheless I found a better solution. While moving things around I also found her exo and placed it near her. I've seen her move a little, so I know she's alive. I think after a week or so everything will be fine.

Thanks again for all your help everyone!
~Dr. Zoidberg~Mr. Krabs~Cloyster~Slurm~Barbados Slim~Citizen Snips
~Sonic and Rizzo, the Ecuadorian Brothers, will always be missed. So went Scuttle into the great Crabitat in the sky.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

She'll need more than a week to fully harden and 'normalize' to the point that you can release her with the other crabs. Until a crab is fully hardened (usually takes at least 2 to 4 weeks), wetting them can mess up the hardening of their exo, and without bathing her, you run the risk of other crabs either stealing her exo or trying to mess with her because she smells like molt. I'd say wait at least a month from her molt before you release her with the other guys, or at least until she's active again and seems eager to get out of the ISO area.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

One last suggestion on a hidey - I created one from a small plastic planter. I cut a doorway in it, and viola, a hidey! :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have been reading along, but being this hermie is a surface molter she should be sectioned off from the others while she is so vulnerable. From the way you mention you found her and her shell less with the other having an empty shell by him it sounds as though she had her shell stolen after molting. Do you have a margarine dish or such that you can use to separate her from the other hermies? Place this in the corner of the tank so the others can have run of the rest of the tank. (which I do not see the size tank you have in your info?)
It may not take her all that long to recover from her molt IF she can destress now as well as recover from her molt. I have surface molters and majority of them are ready to return to the main tank with their tank mates in 4-7 days. (of course there are a couple who aren't at times) Seems surface molters do not take as long to recover as those who burrow in damp sand/substrate.
You will be able to tell from her actions as well as if she has any 'blotches' of lighter coloring as to when she is ready, she will let you know.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.