Where to measure size?

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Where to measure size?

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All....I didn't know where to post this but i thought this section suited most...When it comes to the size of my crabs i am a little confused on where i am suppose to measure them for an accurate reading, so i can compare it to the size chart i found and the gallons per crab guide....Am i suppose to measure across from longest leg to longest leg?(As in left to right for example)...My crabs came up as Mediums on the receipt when i bought them but I'm not sure what the pet stores go by when sizing their crabs...I also have a female that's smaller then my "medium" crabs and my newest male crab(adoption) is larger then my "medium" crabs....Any advice and experience with sizing is welcome as i don't want to overload my tank if i plan on getting more crabs.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Re: Where to measure size?

Post by Ginger »

This is a sizing chart that I use, I'm pretty sure you are referring to this. http://lennon.csufresno.edu/~esperance3 ... hartV2.doc You measure the crabs when they are standing still in a normal position between their first pair of walking legs. (Best to print off in a word document/PDF). I wouldn't go by the sizing given by the pet stores as you suspected, they are not inaccurate as such, but different to the standard sizes referred to by online crabbers.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I will print that out tonight, thanks....Oh the first pair of walking legs i thought it would be the last pair of walking legs(the first meaning next to the claws yes?)....Very helpful info thanks!
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

All good. Yes, the first pair of walking legs I mean the ones closest to the claws.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks....i measured them yesterday with them being large smalls 2inches or under...Gonzo refused to come out but i think he would be a medium at 2.5inch or possibly a large at maximum at 3inch..My girl Seven is still burried from the new tank switch but she will be a small i think.