The colors are really vibrant

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

The colors are really vibrant

Post by babesbarn »

I have some pictures of Spiderman Ted and Hercules. Hercules is the greenish colored shell top. He seems to like that shell was in a bag from Walmart. Anyway, Spiderman as you know I got from the boardwalk mid August and the two of them just chirp and love to eat. So you can see their limbs I have todays shots of them while eating and drinking. Any comments I would love to read. Remembre that Spiderman did have I thought some missing limbs but they seem to be ok for him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Re: The colors are really vibrant

Post by babesbarn »

I ran out and got a new guage for the tank after seeing the humidity was not as it showed. It was showing 76 % but when I got the new one it showed 85% and the temperature was 80 Wow. I hope they are fine now. I worry so, get up and check in the middle of the night and even my hubby is too.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Did you calibrate/test the humidity gauge for accuracy?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

HOW

Post by babesbarn »

I do not understand how you calibrate a little round humidity stickie on. It is the standard round ones that you buy at the Pet store. There are no workable parts that I can see so I just bought another one. If you have a more accurate way of checking the humidity guages I would appreciate it. Thanks for looking in on this. (?)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm sorry if I am not understanding what you are explaining, but majority of the humidity gauges sold in pet stores are round and meant to be stuck on the inner tank wall. (the digital appear to be more rectangle) But all humidity gauges should be tested, majority of the time they are off and can be up to 20% or so. This is quite a bit when a creature depends on a proper humidity level to breath through their modified gills.

http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... ration.php

Even if there is not a way to adjust the gauge, one adjusts their readings accordingly. Most times it is suggested to adjust readings as opposed to adjusting the gauge anyway due to how sensitive they are and how easily they can be broken.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Some beautiful PP's you have there. ;) The colors surely are gorgeous. Make sure to feed them plenty of food with keratin in it to help keep them bright! :)

As for the humidity gauge, I have the same kind, and in order to remove and calibrate it regularly, I picked up some 3M velcro strips, cut them down to just a little square, and that makes it super easy to remove the gauge for calibration.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Hydrometer and hygrometer

Post by babesbarn »

I Truely appreciate the information on the hygrometer. One would think that both are the same thing (hydromoter and hygrometer) so close in spelling. I have the single ones in the package as I will do as instructed with the one I removed that measures humidity and try the "salt" test.

One last thing, in having these little two babies, I have a big heart and think to myself that it really is not a nice thing to have them taken from their natural habitat in the Carribean. More than likely they have made it to a year or two or more and then stolen from there to sell as throwaway pets. I am doing my darnest to make them comfy and really people have no idea how time consuming it is and each mistake is painful for them. I will be giving them lots of carrots. Last night they did not eat that I could see. Hercules stayed topside on the basket while Spiderman is buried in coconut substate near the heater. Now both are there at the heaters. There is alot of humidity inside at almost 80% while the temperature on the warm side is near 80 degrees and the far side is 72-74 degrees. Probably closer to the 72 since the weather has changed and I have been trying to make it as nice as possible with lots of water and warmth.
I have to hand it to those of you who have been successful with these guys. I just love them and really want them to survive happily. Thanks for the help.