Swollen Crab

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 3

Swollen Crab

Post by MomofFive »

I moved all our crabs out of the 10gal. except Leonard, who was buried under a clay pot.
With the 20gal. up and running I declared the 10gal. the ISO tank.
When I put fresh water and food into the ISO today, I found Leonard on the surface.

He looks like he puffed up! I took this picture of him. After sitting in the freshwater bowl for a while (I used the time to mix some more EE into the sand) he went to the part of the tank where I added more EE and he is gone again!

My questions:
-Is he about to molt, or why does he look like he is about to explode?

-He went down 10 days ago. Is that enough time for a medium to molt and eat his exo??? (there was nothing in the hole he left behind)

The ISO tank got moved to our guest room. I taped black paper on the outside, temperature and humidity are between 75-80. I only peek by peeling back some paper to check on that. The room is always quiet and all I do is change food and water once a day.
I am a bit frantic now and don't know what to do... This is only my 10th day of being a hermit Mom, and all the reading and research wont keep me from worrying.
Any Ideas what is wrong with him? Is there something wrong with him???

Leonards(Medium Crab) legs look about twice the size of Sheldon (large Crab) legs.

Picture is a bit blury. He moved and my nervous shaking didn't help!
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Swollen Crab

Post by ladybug15057 »

Welcome to HCP! As you're aware the picture is blurry and it is hard to see. Being you have had him for 10 days he should be permitted to adjust per the PPS (Post purchase stress) article in the Crab Care section to boost his chances of survival.
If he does look 'puffy' some hermies do get this way prior to molting. This is the fluids they have absorbed and are between the old and the new exo for easier shedding of their old exo. It is important to also offer an ocean water source.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I agree with Marie (Ladybug), it is likely he was swollen due to pre-molt.
If he's been down 10 days, you can feel pretty confident that he's likely molting, and could be down for two or three more weeks. Maybe even longer.
It is not necessary to keep his tank dark, as he is below the surface and it is dark there. If he does need to come up for food or water in the meantime, it is good for there to still be a normal day/night cycle of light. It's really only necessary to darken a tank if a hermit crab is pulling a surface molt.

So put on those pacing slippers, keep his food and water fresh, and come here if you get nervous and are tempted to poke around or peek and talk about it!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MomofFive »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I took the paper off the tank! I serve him the same food I prepare for his friends in the 20gal. , change fresh and saltwater daily!
He just worries me! But I will leave him alone and let him do his thing...

I am not a impulsive pet buyer! I resisted buying crabs in a KK for our kids when we went on our Beach Vacation in New Hampshire. Once home I did all the research I could. Two months later
I was sure I could handle this!!! I was prepared! (At least I thought so)
Now I am a nervous wreck! Constantly checking on them, spending more time preparing their dinner than ours :D I even get up at night, just to make sure they are all up and about...
At first I was all: "They are just Crabs! We eat their cousins with Cocktail sauce!!!" did not think that I can get attached to them this quickly #D
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I am SO laughing and giggling as I read your posts! You are me two years ago! I was getting up even two or once in a while three times in a night to check the crabs, the humidity, the temp, always worried and trying SO hard to get everything stable! Prepping their food is so fun, and researching the important stuff - I buy seaweed mixes online, spirulina at my grocery store (I just discovered they aren't carrying it in bulk any more! :'( And kelp granules. I try to balance the calcium, protein, and seaweeds, and the rest is just gravy. oh yeah, keratin, so carrots, corn, other colorful fruits and veggies.

Oh my. its the end of my work day and I'm babbling. :)

Must head out, you have a great day, and welcome to your new addition!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MomofFive »

Leonard surfaced today!!!!!
At first I thought he was dead 8| There was a leg and his big claw in his ISO.....
But when I picked up his shell, there was another big claw and a little twitching leg :D
OUR FIRST MOLT!!!! 8) XD :P #D (took him about 17-18 days)
I covered him and the leftovers of his exo with a coconut hut and put dishes with salt and fresh water close by. Also some some stinky Bloodworm, Shrimp and Oak Leaf Omlette, Honey, Walnut, Peanutbutter and Sesame Oil Paste and a Cuttlebone, Rice, Seasalt, Oystershell Powder Mix.
I hope that is enough for now!? Should I offer Veggies and Fruit as well??? Or fresh meat???

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Congratulations on your first molt!
At this point a well balanced nutritional diet of all foods should be offered. (considering you last wrote on the 9th and this is the 13th)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MomofFive »

My little guys eat better than my big guys do!
There is always a dish with eggshell, sea salt and cuttlebone. I offer fish or meat, fruit, vegetable, nuts and grain every day. (My building blocks) I just switch up the different kinds. It depends on what I have in my kitchen.
Bee products and olive or sesame oil every few day. In at night, out in the morning.
During the day I have some dry kibble in there that I made from stuff in and around my garden.
Dried tomato, squash, bell pepper, carrots, oak leaves and maple, seaweed (I took a sushi class and have tons) dandelion blossoms and greens, clover, hibiscus and roses, other perennials that I grew from my own seeds,freeze dried shrimp and bloodworm. (It either from my garden or the woods behind the house. No pesticides, no fertilizer)
Depending on what I serve my human kids for breakfast, I just mix the kibble with egg and microwave an omelet! They really seem to like that!
There is also dried fruit for them. Cherry, Pineapple, Coconut, Cranberry, Banana, Peach and Blueberries.
So they get fresh foods at night and dehydrated or freeze dried food during the day :D
I am pretty sure they did not eat the same thing twice since they are here^^
My daughters and I have a blast "cooking" for the crabs!

Tonight is Leonards 2nd night with his friends out of ISO! He switched Shells again and is active during the day and at night.
(I stood guard making sure he will get along with the others the first night) Penny, our smallest crab seems very attached to him! She wont leave his side. Maybe its because they were together when we bought them and she missed him?
I am very proud of Leonard! He took the fear of molting away from me, coming back a perfect, pretty crab with non of the little pieces missing!
He is the only one who is not scared or shy when I mess with food and water bowls and comes right up to the glass when someone is watching. He is all "Check me out, all new and shiny!"

Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100
Total tanks: 1

Post by Jadexox »

nice shell, i love it
can i have it #D lol
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MomofFive »

Jadexox wrote:nice shell, i love it
can i have it #D lol
NO!!!
I am only doing this to protect you!!!
Since I got my shells from Deltona Seashells (the one he is wearing now came with the lot) I am online all the time, checking and actually buying more polished shells 8| I am whining at the hubby every day that I want to take a day off with him, go on that 3 hour drive to the NH beach, just because I want to check the boardwalk stores for more polished shells!!! Of course I don't tell him that thats why!
I have shells now, that might fit my crabs in 10 years from now^^ AND MORE COMING IN THE MAIL!
Nobody warned me about this dangerous side effect of having a crab addiction!!!
I need a bigger tank to have enough room for all my shells! Maybe some more crabs, so they get used.... THIS IS BAD STUFF ;)