White crab?

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: White crab?

Post by ladybug15057 »

The CaribSea sand can also be washed and baked for many years and not lose its consistency. Some crabbers have also used containers of EE to give their hermies a choice of substrates.
And I am sure with the TLC you give him there is a high chance he will pull through. Chelipeds crossed here for you!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Suebee
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 29
Total gallons: 185
Total tanks: 5

Post by Suebee »

Ladybug, I would not quote that Tammy sugested any substrate other then what her website suggests. As for my research, I would sugest you do not question that but continue your research.
10 years is great. Have you had the same crabs over that period? I have crabs with tons of documation that have been in my care for more then 10 years. Im one of the biggest researchers in the US. Its great to see that one person with a certain amount of crabs does well. Ive even seen people keep crabs in a KK on gravel with comercial hermit crab food and no salt water for years. This can happen. PPs are very adaptable to poor conditions. I have to look to the ones that know more then me by years of research. The importers and sellers of hermit crabs that have had years of research and records from hundreds of people that they have sold to are the ones I check in with.
I would not give any advise on any page that I didnt have backing for. I try to keep it simple due to the major amount of hermit crab owners being under the age of 17 as well. I too have tried other substrates and documented my findings but that is not what I base my advise on. Any advise I give is based on advise giving to me by much bigger researchers.
If I have a crab that passes I would put him in alchol and get it to the proper place to determine why he passed in order to make sure my other crabs are in prime conditions.
This is due to my very low loss rate. I get very attached due to the amount of time that my crabs have been with me and do not consider any loss one of stress.
Id advise against using hermit crab boards as your only form of research if you would like to continue to give out advise that is unbendable. Im open to help via pm or email, I sugest that the board be kept for helping others and threads not be interupted. Blessings, suebee
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

SueBee,
Please do not come here and attack and correct those who are here helping and question their knowledge.

Using boards for information is one of the best resources. Many boards have knowledgeable crabbers who have many links to good information and research, things that just a regular search would not pull up easily.

After all, you are here on a board giving out your opinions about how to care for crabs. That is what we are all doing.

Please, do not continue to question the knowledge of those here giving advice, as it is merely advice, and any one is welcome to do their own research. Ladybug is even kind enough to provide links to her sources. People are welcome to follow the advice or not, and make their own judgements from the information learned from those links.

Please, do provide us some links to the information you are citing as well, I am sure we could all expand our knowledge.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Questioning is fine, as long as reasoning for the opinions are provided too.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Suebee, I heard directly from CrabWorks that Tammy had suggested to her to use CoCofiber in Jon and Kates molting tanks due to their size. I do not understand the problem in writing what CrabWorks had shared with me here at HCP.
As for questioning, I do question and IMO this is how one learns. I do research on the internet, have e-mailed with Crustacean scientists/biologists, as well as keep an open mind in reading what crabbers post and share as well. (thousand and thousands of hours worth) As well as belonging to a private research site that has hundreds of research articles stored. This along with experience is where I consider information from.
I have had our original (except 2) hermies alive now for 10 years this June 17th. I have had the same 4 straws alive too going on 6 years this fall.
I am asking once again, please keep an open mind yourself. Hermit crab keeping is not as cut and dry as some would have one believe. There are many variables from home to home, state to state, and country to country that needs to be taken into consideration.
I sugest that the board be kept for helping others and threads not be interupted.
Thank you. If I can be of further help please feel free to pm me as opposed to replying on the forum.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.