modified gills?

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
ILuvMyCrabbie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

modified gills?

Post by ILuvMyCrabbie »

i give my hermie a mist spray every day to keep him moist and keep up the humidity.
is that enough to keep his modified gills moist enough for him to live
I Luv my Crabbies!!

Nick**Cassy**Sassy
Titans
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Re: modified gills?

Post by Titans »

I'm not 100% sure about the information but I've read that if you keep the humidity up to proper levels it should be sufficient for your hermits gills. I've also read that spraying them directly is a no no.
ILuvMyCrabbie
Zygote
Zygote

Post by ILuvMyCrabbie »

yes i know i never spray them directly, i take them out of the cage and then spray there crabitat, but not really with a spray more of a mist.
I Luv my Crabbies!!

Nick**Cassy**Sassy
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

I only spray my crabitat when the humidity gets lower that 70ish.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

keeping up the humidity works. :) as long as its between 72-80%
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Well I keep the crabs in the tank and mist. I mist everyday, regardless of the current humidity. I spray the crabs about a foot or more away to wake em up a bit and moisten them. Spraying the toys often helps with humidity too. Never pick up your crab spray him, however I believe you can spray them from farther away.

I like getting the tank "wet" once a week, because in the wild they experience rain, which they are active after.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by Mr.Crab »

I can't keep the humidity up. it falls to 40 sometime. any ideas? Now its at like 60 something
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

What is your heat source? Heat lamps dry out the tank so much easier, What I do is I mist the tank, then turn my lamp on and it heats up the air causing the moisture to evaporate, raising the humidity. Then I leave it on for maybe an hour then turn it off and allow the tank to cool off and like....let me explain better.

DAY TO DAY SCHEDULE
1. Check on crabs, where are they all, is there any fights etc...
2. Replace food and water
3. Monitor temperature and humidity.
4. Mist the tank as needed.
5. turn light on .
6. Later, turn it off.
7. Mist the tank lightly then turn on night time bulb, (this bulb is colder and keeps the humidity up at night)

And thats it really.

Every 2 weeks or less, I crazily mist the tank, like it has rained. I read in a book that the crabs are active after rainfall. So i mist everything including the sand, walls, and climbing toys for like 5 full minutes, then I turn on my light, and usually put in a treat. The crabs become extremely active. Some go for the treat, some explore new shells, and some just come out and stand there. In about 20 minutes after doing so, my humidity goes up to at least 85%. :D
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

What kind of lid do you have? If it is a screen lid you can put some saran wrap on about 90% of the lid and that should help. I use a plexi glass lid and it keeps the humidity at a great place sometimes to high but it is easy to get it down to normal by opening the lid a little bit. You can measure the lip of the tank and go to home depot or your local hardware store and have them cut a piece to fit then just get home and drill 1/2" holes in until you get the humidity to where you like it. I can't tell you how much the plexi glass was because I got it for free from a glass friend of ours. I am sure they are pretty cheap though. I am currently working on heating my tank since it is getting cold here at night. I heard that you can even put a damp towel over the tank and that will help with humidity but keep the towel wet and that is hard especially if it is warm out it dries out pretty quickly. Oh and what size is your tank?
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009