crabbyglen
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 50
Total tanks: 2

Suddenly aggressive

Post by crabbyglen »

I have 7 crabs. 5 have been together roughly 8 years, two are adoptions that are still in isolation.
Recently, Kermit and Pee Wee have switched shells with each other. Not sure how it went down, it seemed like a peaceful transfer. I've always believed Pee Wee to be the Alpha, seems like since this happened. Pee Wee doesn't like being picked up. (He's always been sweetie). Now, if he retracts into his shell, big claw is open and poised in defensive posture. When I do handle him, he is constantly grabbing at me with hi big
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Suddenly aggressive

Post by Wai »

Pee Wee may have been forced out of his shell, but it is impossible to know for sure without seeing it yourself. I'd say give him some time for him to relax a bit more.

Good job having the five for eight years; that is a feat most crabbers haven't achieved.
Wai
crabbyglen
Zygote
Zygote

Post by crabbyglen »

The one shell fight l witnessed a year ago. They had both legs spread out and did the reaching game. Kermit retracted and Pee Wee rocked him a few times and went on with his business. The lesser crabs, Herman, Hidey and Periwinkle always get out of Pee Wees way. I have a large abundance of shells, though these two seem attached to these particular shells. They've molted twice since they've moved in and refuse to go into a larger shell, as they are growing too large for them. Your explanation seems satisfactory, not sure how the hierarchy stands or how often it changes. Kermit is a larger crab.
The other current problem is the additional two crabs. Have to upgrade for more space.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Unfortunately for hermit crab mentality, they think occupied shells are better than unoccupied shells; hence why shell fights occur despite an abundance of alternatives available. A lot of mine killed each other over time despite plenty of similarly sized spare shells available.
Wai
crabbyglen
Zygote
Zygote

Post by crabbyglen »

Well, that's not encouraging. I put a couple old colony crabs in with the adoptions yesterday. Things went well. A lot of feeler talk went on, Kermit knocked a new guy once and moved on. Adoptions have been isolated for two months, due to an extremely dry environment, when I added water, they both molted. They're up and moving around now. Plan on cleaning aquarium and putting them all together. I might introduce everyone in the playground. (A kiddie pool) Pee Wee, I've noticed, has been hiding out under the water bowl. Everyone has just molted so that's not his reason. I'm debating on best way to increase living space. Everyone is roughly golf ball size, so space is becoming critical. Currently in a 40 gal breeder tank. I like the width, wish it was taller. Thanks for your insight, I think they'd be bigger by now, I think they didn't get proper care when they were little. A lot of research went into the care they receive now. I'm reading a lot of the older posts now. Thanks again
Glen