Cleaning A Sponge

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 17
Total tanks: 1

Cleaning A Sponge

Post by charcoal44 »

Hi all,
I received 3 crabs for my birthday, great little pets, I've been reading up on all the info on caring for them, and put a natural sponge into to their crabitat soaked in spring water.

I read that these need to be cleaned by boiling them in spring water to kill of any mould/bacteria, would a burst in the microwave be as good?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Cleaning A Sponge

Post by Wai »

Hi there, you don't need to put a sponge in the water. The bacteria will quickly regrow in the sponge anyway and the increase in humidity is likely to be negligible.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Cleaning A Sponge

Post by ladybug15057 »

I use to use sponges in our early days, but quit using them due to how high maintenance they are. Putting them in the microwave wet will make about a baseball size sponge turn into a golf ball size sponge. (and water does not make it swell to the original size either) They can be used dry, the hermies will nibble on them. They do have a low percentage of chitin in them.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.