UVB and activity

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

UVB and activity

Post by Wai »

I have been using one of Exo Terra's UVB100 bulbs now for about a month and have noticed that my hermit crabs are significantly more active. The light is on from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. They used to just sit under the CHE all day, but now I regularly see them climb on the cage surrounding the CHE as well as exploring other parts of the tank. Does anyone else here use a UVB light?
Wai
RebsCritters
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 292
Total tanks: 9

Re: UVB and activity

Post by RebsCritters »

I don't but I've been considering it. It seems to make sense to provide them with a full spectrum of sunlight, as I doubt they find themselves without it much in the wild.
I currently only use a heat lamp. I do have some low level grow lights that provide UVB, the stand for which just happens to fit perfectly over my 15 gallon tank. Maybe I'll set that up tonight and let you know if anything develops in the next few days.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Just make sure there is nothing between the UVB and tank, such as glass lids. The UVB bulb needs to be able to directly shine into the tank.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Yes, I do. Ive noticed that when i do have it on they are way more active and eat loads more, if one can get a UVB and can afford with the upkeep, I'd suggest purchasing it.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

With 4 skylights and 4 sliding glass windows in the great room (living room kitchen combo) the hermies here do get a natural day/night effect. When I tried a light for a little while these ones hid a lot.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.