Leaving on Vacation

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
rf9661
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Leaving on Vacation

Post by rf9661 »

Hello!

I will be leaving for 11 days on vacation and have no one to care for my hermit crabs. What machines work to maintain humidity, like an automatic mister? I have an automatic timer for the heat bulbs and UVB bulbs so thats not a concern to me. How should I go about them having enough food and water? Please let me know.

I've looking into Mist King for the automatic mister but their nozzles must be screwed in and I can't screw into the terrarium.

Regards,
Richard
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Leaving on Vacation

Post by emmac350 »

Unfortunately, you can't really get anything for humidity to be automatic (that I know of). What you should do is leave as many humidity-boosting things in your tank as you can. Thoroughly wet all wooden items in your tank, maybe leave shallow bowls/dishes of crab-safe water (even bottle caps) under your heaters, etc. If you have a wet substrate (most do, but some don't) then your crabs can dig down if the humidity goes too low for them.

As for food, just give way more than you usually give them. Have some edible tank ornaments as well - natural wood things, eggshells, cuttlebones, crab-safe moss, that sort of thing.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.