HELP C.V. Zoea 72 hours old

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

HELP C.V. Zoea 72 hours old

Post by Natatat »

Hi all! Its been a long time since ive been online in the Hermit crab community.
I still have all of my crabs (zero fatalaties) & am as passionate as ever :)
My reason for posting is I need help/advice....
I have hundreds of Zoea! Its the 3rd time this year & I am attempting to keep them alive for as long as I a can (obviously learning as I go). All advice will be appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Nat_addicted to HC's http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Re: HELP C.V. Zoea 72 hours old

Post by Natatat »

Moved from salt dish to growing tank (fingers crossed)
I have managed to track down brine shrimp eggs online and they are being expressed to me ;) My local aquarium shop was brilliant and has helped me out with some powdered fry food to get me through, the powdered flakes I was making fouls the water pretty much instantly so this stuff is much better. picked up some ammo lock (while I visited every pet/fish shop within 40km of where I live in my search for brine shrimp eggs) to keep on top of the ammonia build up from the feeding. Twice daily water changes so far and all appears good. wish me luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

I really hope the best for you!
I wish I could get a crabby off you, but I live in Melbourne so I don't think i would get one...
I really hope you pull though with it! GO AUSSIES! :D
I know a few people one HCA that have got some to land stage, one person is Curlz... She would give out adivse :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

Thanks AussieJJDude, ive spent the last 48 hours reading like mad & yes she did a brilliant job (my hero). Im trying to the best I can right now with the knowledge I have at my finger tips :) & limited funds.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Wow! I don't know any advice to give, but keep us up to date with pics!
Wai
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

Pics :D
Its so exciting Ive pretty much chewed all my finger nails off & Im not a nail chewer lol
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Congrats on the molts!
Just a quick question, what size what there parents??? Just wondering what the size would be, I would love to follow your footsteps and raise my own babies, you are now my hero! :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

Aw shucks thanks
At this stage I have no idea which male & female are the parents, as like the previous times its like hey presto bowl full of babies :) I can not take and creds for breeding, they've done it all themselves, I've merely been the spectator of happy crabs.
I will take some pics of my crabs shortly and will post them so you can see for yourself. They were tinies when I purchased them & now they are a pretty good size. I used to have the circle thing somewhere for measuring them, must look and print a new one.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Cool :D
like I said earlier, I would love to raise babies too, even though there is $$$$ involved!
LOL, its like 2 minute noodles, ding, they here! :D

Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

welcome stage 2 zoea!

Ive learnt a lot over the last few days about C. Variabilis
#1 non feeding zoeal stages 1 & 2
#2 takes only 6-7 days to get to megalopa which is stage 3
#3 once megalopa they become cannibalistic (but will consume tropical fish flakes)
#4 they do not need a shell to metamorphose
#5 metamorphosis takes 1-2 days after digging down
#6 30% survival rate at 30 degrees celcius (significantly reduced at 25, just like our adult crabs, very sensitive to temperature)
#7 the whole aquatic stage lasts on average 25 days!!!!!!!
Alan W. Harvey who wrote the section abbreviated larval development in the Australian hermit crab ceonobita variabilis McCulloch (Anomura: Coenobitidae) pg 196 - 209 in the journal of crustacean biology Vol 12 no. 2 raised C. Variabilis larva to land dwelling stage from females heavy with eggs taken from the beach in darwin NT. The above information comes from this extract.
Well Mr Harvey Im happy to say my females have been in captivity for years

I will be super happy if I get 1 to land :D

perhaps this is the first step in securing our wild populations, Captive breeding would significantly change the hermit crabs life here in Australia (obviously a diverse gene pool would need to be considered so the species don't develop other issues due to inbreeding), they are harvested off the beach, the government stopped them from being exported internationally/exploited years ago. Once they cease being a throw away pet ($10 AUD) I am certain that the level of care & knowledge required to keep one of our magnificent land dwelling crustaceans as pets will lift drastically and the survival rate will increase. This raises a new question.... What should the purchase value of a captive bred crab be? Considering expenses related to breeding. how many of you would prefer to buy a captive bred crab rather than a harvested wild crab? I know my answer, whats yours?
I for one am looking forward to producing a care sheet (with all of you with Aussies helping please) which will go with any of my captive bred crabs, if & when I get to that stage ;)
who knows..... one of us may have our captive bred crabs for 34 years plus 8)
Oh and if one more person says to me its just a crab.......... Look Out :@