HCP Care Sheet Project

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

HCP Care Sheet Project

Post by Wai »

The current version of the care sheet may be accessed from the Downloads page.

Personally, writing up the care sheet was difficult. I hated having to compress and simplify everything into one A4 sheet of paper. However, if the care sheet exceeds one A4 page, then the pet stores will be reluctant to use it. Should I include my full name on the care sheet?

I also need the care sheet to be reviewed by several people before I send it out to the public. Let me know if you need help downloading it.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: HCP Care Sheet Project

Post by ladybug15057 »

Anyway to make it readable without needing to downloading it? (you should know me by now, I do like to review caresheets! but not too keen about downloading)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I have been quite disappointed that this thread hasn't attracted much attention from our members. For Marie's sake, I have converted the care sheet into PDF form. It can now be downloaded directly from our server. The link is in the first post of this topic. XD
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thanks Wai!!
Being there have been 59 views (prior to me doing this post) maybe with the pdf others will chime in here and have some input? However, I have read it and it is good being it is a basic and trying to keep it 1 page. I have made a couple suggestions and will be sending it via e-mail to you. (unless you would also like me to post it here as well?)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

The care sheet is now also available for download in American English with imperial units.
Wai
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

One thing I have about it, Wai, is the part where it talks about testing the strength of the salt water. From what I've read, preparing the salt water with the proportions on the packaging gets it to where it needs to be, although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It doesn't mention that you can use a heat lamp as well as an under tank heater. It also doesn't say that you can feed them whatever you're eating (if you're making it from scratch) minus the seasonings. A lot of people are totally clueless that you can feed them almost anything that we eat (garlic and other spices being two of the exceptions I remember off the top of my head).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

From some of the tests that Marie has conducted, she has had to add more salt than specified on the packaging to get the ideal specific gravity readings.

I'm aware that I left out the use of heat lamps. Bulbs tend to dry out humidity more easily than UTHs. Also, I would have to discuss wattages and the type of bulb to use too. I did have heat lamps on older versions of the care sheet, but I decided to take it off, because I think heat lamps are for more "experienced" crabbers (i.e. the use of heat lamps can't be summarised into one small dot point).

Note: In Australia, the Exo-Terra Night Glo bulbs only come in 25W and 50W. 50W would be overkill for a 10 gallon tank. However, the 25W bulb is too "long" for the small Exo-Terra Glow Light to be placed flat on top of the tank lid, so a medium Glow Light would be needed. However, the medium Glow Light is quite big and would stretch over half the tank lid, leaving little room for a cool side. So for Australian crabbers, the use of heat lamps isn't all that ideal, unless they have a big tank.

With respect to food, I would need even more room for that. Like I said, I was biting myself as I reduced and simplified everything into one A4 page... the experience wasn't pleasant. However, if the care sheet is too long, people won't bother reading it all and they'll mindlessly buy the hermit crabs and forget to research online.
Wai
careyjonz95
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by careyjonz95 »

I liked it, as well as a A-4 could explain really. Could you not give it to the pet stores front and back so you can elaborate a little more and give a better idea of the care of hermies?

~careyXcarnage~
cococrisp
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8

Post by cococrisp »

Looks pretty good. :D I convinced my local pet store to get the right conditions etc but is this for them to hand out to their customers? That might be a whole new story for the petsmart near me. they have this whole care sheet typed up full of junk they hand out. ^)
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Wai,
quite some time back I did reply to this, but sadly something must have happened during transmission and it didn't post. :(

I say yes, definitely use your full name and even add your email address (if you feel comfortable), as well as the website address.

I agree it is very difficult to get all the information into one sheet. It is a very good start. Well done.
It helps to have feedback from people who are new to crabbing, too, as they will let you know if they understood and utilized the information as you intended. Having your email address may help with that, and an invitation to give feedback on the sheet. Just an idea.

Also, is there some way you can squeeze in a mention of surface molting that warns an owner not to assume their crab is dead? I know you have a lot of good info in there, and you may have to leave that out. But I know that most new hermit crab owners have no clue about molting, let alone surface molts. We've heard so many stories of kids who thought their crab was dead only to find they'd tossed a newly molted crab in the bin.

Also, on the lid part - again all this is great info - but mention that a mesh lid can be used as long as it's covered partly with cellophane? For those who don't have the money for a glass (expensive) or plexiglass (they won't know how to find one since they aren't sold, they have to be made).

I think that you should also consider adding the back page. I know you feel people won't read it, but if they read part of it, they will read it all as they begin to see the importance of the information.

Salt water - if you can mention they can use instructions for mixing on the package, but that it is BEST to use the hygrometer to test and get the mix right. Thinking here of new crabbers who will just be trying to get the basic setup and will possibly fine tune later.

With my first crab, we received three pages stapled together, and DID read through it to make sure we were doing everything right. I think you may underestimate those who will want to learn how to care for their crabs properly. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.