Strawberry hermit crabs

Place to post notices for sales and bargains.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Strawberry hermit crabs

Post by aussieJJDude »

howche wrote:Store said they only had them towards the end of the year and that's when the next lot should arrive. Didn't sound too convincing though....
Hmm, i wonder if they do get them if they would sell them interstate??? :) Would be nice to have some!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

They will be huge though. I wouldn't be comfortable putting two jumbo straws into my current tank.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Wai wrote:They will be huge though. I wouldn't be comfortable putting two jumbo straws into my current tank.
Hmm guess so. I am toying with the idea of getting another 4ft tank underneath my tank now... If I was to get straws, that could be my straw tank are I could connect the two and let the crabs have some more room...
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Hmm guess so. I am toying with the idea of getting another 4ft tank underneath my tank now... If I was to get straws, that could be my straw tank are I could connect the two and let the crabs have some more room...
Straws are very sensitive, and the tank should be regulated just so so.
Question, have you any plans for the future of going onto college or other form of advanced education here you would be moving? Reason I ask, is in a few years what would/will happen to your hermies?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

ladybug15057 wrote:Straws are very sensitive, and the tank should be regulated just so so.
Question, have you any plans for the future of going onto college or other form of advanced education here you would be moving? Reason I ask, is in a few years what would/will happen to your hermies?
Been looking at other forums ladybug15057 and they say that it good and natural to let the tank have some swing in it. In the wild you don't really see them die because there is a temp/humidity change. However, I do respect your decision and do realise where you are coming from. I thought the same too, but after looking at a few tank with straws and seeing how the owners look after them, I say they not that different to the rest of the species. I would suggest getting a UVB bulb as they seem to be a great addition.

I plan to go to university in Melbourne and one that is a 10 min drive from my house. In Australia I noticed that we don't really move into other states or cities after high school - which I think is elementy in the US - and find a uni - college - near us. So during that time, the hermies would stay with me.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I thought the same too, but after looking at a few tank with straws and seeing how the owners look after them, I say they not that different to the rest of the species. I would suggest getting a UVB bulb as they seem to be a great addition.
I wish you luck with them, but I too am speaking from many years of experience. Good that there are other tanks in Aus. you can witness in person, but how much fluctuation is there in the tanks? I too have a bit of fluctuation, a warmer and cooler side to their tanks.
Good to know your hermies will be with you. Guess I am more use to those in U.S. who seem to go off to college.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

ladybug15057 wrote:I wish you luck with them, but I too am speaking from many years of experience. Good that there are other tanks in Aus. you can witness in person, but how much fluctuation is there in the tanks? I too have a bit of fluctuation, a warmer and cooler side to their tanks.
Good to know your hermies will be with you. Guess I am more use to those in U.S. who seem to go off to college.
Sorry, my wording came off wrong, after following some tanks for a while, I do feel like they come from experience. I have seen online a person that had successful bred straws but unfortunately, wasn't successful in the megalopa stage... I see if I can find stats, I swear he has posted them somewhere! :)

Thanks, I think my hermies are glad that they get to stay with me too! I feel like they would miss out on a lot of my parent were to take charge! Even if they look after for a night, I freak out and had a list on what they need to do!

Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Looks like they are available again. This was the same store where I got Antares from.
Wai
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

ATTENTION ALL AUSSIE CRABBERS!!!

I have found a tank of LARGE Stawberry Hermit Crabs at Pet City Mt Gravatt Brisbane, QLD for $70 each.

Their tank is suprisingly reasonable for pet store standards, it looked as if it had been misted, up to 3 inch sand, a nice large water pool, with a muesli mix and a cut up grape as food, and plenty of driftwood and hiding spots. A few looked quite active, with bright eyes and fluttery antenna.

Unfortunately, I did not get one of these guys because of my lack of shells, pricing and was unsure of extra care needed.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Thanks for sharing. Was interesting to see photos of some. They are pretty cool aren't they!
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com