Strawberry hermit crabs

Place to post notices for sales and bargains.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Strawberry hermit crabs

Post by Wai »

Don't get too excited here, there aren't any places I know of in Australia that currently have strawberry hermit crabs. The only place I've been to myself in Victoria that had strawberry hermit crabs was the Australian Pet Superstore in Springvale South (now renamed Pet Mart Australia) between October 2008 and January 2009.

I recently contacted Pet City Mount Gravatt in Queensland, which was known to have 'giant strawberry hermit crabs' for quite some time according to their website. However, this was how the conversation went:
Wai wrote:Do you still have any strawberry hermit crabs? I remember reading on your site (before the layout changed) that you had them. I am particularly interested in small ones (since from experience, they are much more able to adapt to life in captivity than the large ones), but I have been told by another pet store here that used to have them back in late 2008 that they were only able to order the tennis ball sized ones. If you do have them, how much will they cost and what size? Also, what would the freight cost be?
Pet City wrote:We no longer sell them. I am unsure of where you can get them.
Wai wrote:When was the last time you sold them? Do you plan to get more in the future?
Pet City wrote:Well over a year ago, I would like to get them but can’t find an affordable supplier.
Wai wrote:How much roughly are those not-so-affordable sellers selling them for? I know that strawberries are a lot more work to keep alive compared to the common brown aussies. Have you ever managed to order small strawberries (e.g. smaller than a golf ball)?
Pet City wrote:I have never been able to get small ones. I have not had a look into them for quite some time and believe they would retail for over $100.00 each.
Wai wrote:Oh okay, thanks. That is very pricey indeed.
Does anyone know of any other stores that sell strawberry hermit crabs? I don't plan on getting any unless they are smaller than a golf ball. However, the chances of me getting any strawberries in the future seem very slim.

Otherwise, you can do what I did... I bought postcards from this site (six for $6 AUD, free shipping within Australia). I stuck a postcard of the strawberry hermit crab on the back of the tank to serve as part of the background wallpaper. XD
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Strawberry hermit crabs

Post by ladybug15057 »

So since a couple years ago when straws were being sold in Aus. the price did go up from about $80 to $100. Wish that would happen here in the U.S. The public may make sure they have the essentials they need to remain healthy instead of just the 'glory' of owning one.
Straws require so much exercise, and it is highly recommended not to put more than 2 meds. in less than a 20 gal long and that is small for them. They would need out of the tank exercise daily due to the energy they have.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

I have mine in a 50 gallon tank with a pp and an e so he's got alot of room. I worried myself to death when he went down to molt because he's large and I heard the date rate is higher but he came up beautiful. I got mine from livehermitcrabs.com but alot of people don't like them so I guess your taking a chance if you go that route. I was lucky, all my crabs arrive alive and mite free though poor Spider died last week. i don't know if they ship internationally, mosts likely not.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It is illegal to import hermit crabs from overseas into Australia. That is why we can only get C. variabilis.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Hi everyone,
I am super happy to say that I was watching youtube video's on hermit crabs when this popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... UrdEVFn9-8

I soooo happy! Now I might get the chance to keep these guys with my aussies! Though, now I want to go to every pet store in Melbourne to find these critters!!!

I also wrote a bit about these guys in my mini website about aussies, link in the links in my siggy and then click 'Species in Australia'... :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Oh my gosh!!! Which pet store is that!? :O

Update on 12 December 2013

Someone has commented on that YouTube video, revealing the identity of the pet store as Kellyville Pets in NSW.
Wai
howche
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 17

Post by howche »

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'll be working near there on thursday. Will pop in to see if its still there and take pics.
howche
Zygote
Zygote

Post by howche »

Went in today but unfortunately they didn't have any strawberries there. They did have quite a bit of jumbos though.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

They tend not to have them during winter... could be due to difficulty keeping them warm during transportation. Straws are more sensitive to the cold than other species. Could you find out when they last had straws?
Wai
howche
Zygote
Zygote

Post by howche »

Store said they only had them towards the end of the year and that's when the next lot should arrive. Didn't sound too convincing though....