Shells

Place to post notices for sales and bargains.
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Re: Shells

Post by Jennie »

Wai - just a quick note to say I like the way you have split this post into the various sections under a new Australia folder. It looks much better and is easier to find the relevant things :D
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Yeah, it took a while to 'rearrange' the original thread, but I know you guys will appreciate it! :D
Wai
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total tanks: 2

Post by Natatat »

Hi all !

Jennie
Have not had any takers on the snail shells so far, hope you and your family inc. crabs are well.

I have not had a chance to get to the beach yet Wai but I have not forgotten... lge pheasants. I will scout for them while hunting out driftwood for my latest project (not for my hermies, for me)

Thank goodness chrissy and new years is over, hopefully life will get back to normality sometime soon, I'm exhausted

I have many sharks eye and babylonia shells to trade atm that the big red fat guy (hopefully thats not offensive to anyone) brought my crabs, oh and some really big turbos too, let me know if interested.

I made my personal album and put some pics of my tat up and one about one of my crabs doing some mods on his shell, have you guys seen this much?

Wai do you know where I can get cholla wood from? (sorry off topic)
aka Nat_addicted to HC's http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Nat, I bought my cholla from Garden World. I don't think they have an online store, but you could try contacting them to see if they will ship to SA.

I definitely do need some large pheasant shells after adopting Ganymede. I'm worried that he'll attack Eris for his shell someday unless I can get more pheasant shells that big.
Wai
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by FreeCrabby »

I have seen some cholla wood in various aquarium/reptile places/shops I have been to... but Im in QLD!

Just wanted to say that I saw in Bunnings in their garden section bags of shells for something like $5.60 - you would only need a few good ones for it to be more cost effective than some pet stores! But they were all to small for mine so maybe for everyone elses to unless you have small ones....

I also found this list of reptile stores which I am sure could be helpful to some! http://www.aussiepythons.com/wiki/Reptile-Supply-Stores
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total tanks: 2

Post by Natatat »

Thanks FreeCrabby regarding the cholla! I will get my uncle to keep an eye out since he lives up there. Cheers
aka Nat_addicted to HC's http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

No problem - if he lives in or near Brisbane let me know I can tell you of some stores here that stock it!
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

This place looks good though not sure on prices! http://www.piscesnaturalproducts.com/jo ... &Itemid=43
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Re: Supplies for Aussies Thread

Post by appps »

Wai wrote:
Is it legal to take empty shells from the beach? I know it sounds like a silly question, but I heard it was illegal to take sand from the beach, so I'm not sure if the laws apply to shells too.
No its illegal, a few years back we did a school holiday beach tour thing with the dept of fisheries or some such and the guide said that they fine people they see taking anything, even shells, from the beach. Its due to the fact that they are used as habitats and it impacts on the local species numbers when they cant find homes due to so many people removing them.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

FreeCrabby wrote: Just wanted to say that I saw in Bunnings in their garden section bags of shells for something like $5.60 - you would only need a few good ones for it to be more cost effective than some pet stores! But they were all to small for mine so maybe for everyone elses to unless you have small ones....
Yep good find, have bought these myself. Normally get 2 or 3 good shells from a bag if you choose carefully.

One I found yesterday was at a discount store and they were containers of shells all of the same sort. For $2.99 I got roughly 6-8 shells the size I needed. Some were way too big for my crabs. Not bad though :-)
The sticker on the container says - Deco Shells by All Seasons Homewares (not the stores name btw)and then Wick2ware is on the bottom of the same sticker.
Barcode on the bottom says Item No.GMB024
Maybe worth doing a search to find their retail outlets?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com