Emergency!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Truelily
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Emergency!

Post by Truelily »

I need help!! I am relatively new to owning hermit crabs and was changing out a food bowl when I noticed a crab close to the surface under the bowl. I gently unburied her and picked her up and all of her legs except two back legs fell off! I immediately put her back down and put the legs next to her and put a thin layer of sand over the top. I have read a lot on this website and assume now that she was molting but I panicked and didn't know what to do! What can I do next and did I accidentally doom my crab to death?:(
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Emergency!

Post by Wai »

Hard to say whether the stuff you saw dropping was empty shed exoskeleton or was her actual limbs detaching from the body. Were the eyes black in colour or colourless?

At this point in time, I would refrain from disturbing the crab any further and isolate it from the others for two weeks minimum by setting a barrier around it and moving the dish it was under somewhere else so that the others still have access to it.

Can you please fill out the questionnaire below?

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
TYPE HERE

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
TYPE HERE

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
TYPE HERE

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
TYPE HERE

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
TYPE HERE

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
TYPE HERE

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
TYPE HERE

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
TYPE HERE

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
TYPE HERE

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
TYPE HERE

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
TYPE HERE

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
TYPE HERE
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Emergency!

Post by ladybug15057 »

If you have any other hermies cut a 2 liter soda bottle top off and put this over her to the floor of the tank so the others cannot get to her. Place a small soda/water bottle lid of dechlor and ocean water inside the cut soda bottle with her.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.