Dead?Molting?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Dead?Molting?

Post by mak0124 »

So luckily my hermit crab after i by accidently pushed sand on him about a month ago moved, so he wasnt molting or dead. He went back under the sand right after that (a day after) and hasnt moved at all. Ik molting can take a while but its been a little over a month now. He or she (forgot to check) is not to big. Hermie is about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch shell opening size. His water has been full for awhile and his food was out for so long (natural food) it got a bunch of dust over it. The tank doesnt smell fresh but ever since i got these new decorations it has had a new smell. Sorta like packaging smell which makes sense so im almost positive theres no dead smell. Everytime i look in his tank, i swear under his hut (wheres he has been molting or just hiding or being dead) it seems the pile of sand he dug up is a bit bigger. Maybe its just my imagination. Im not sure
On a side note: Is there any good places to buy hermit crabs now? (I live near DC)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Dead?Molting?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Happy to hear your little one is alive. There is no time frame how long it takes a hermie to molt regardless of their size. Have you checked your tank perimeters to make sure they are ok?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

ladybug15057 wrote:Happy to hear your little one is alive. There is no time frame how long it takes a hermie to molt regardless of their size. Have you checked your tank perimeters to make sure they are ok?
Well i mist my tank three times a day to keep humidity at 80. Temp is usually 75.
He has huts bowls and climbing things. He started molting around mid september
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Molting for some can take from not even a week up to 4-6 months. We had one we thought was depressed. He did not move in almost 2 months. We placed him in the food and water dishes daily hoping he was nibbling or drinking. BANG he molted. Next time (a month later) he was moving about and next morning he molted? Same hermie different symptoms...no complications with either molt. Had a Jumbo, Shelly who molted every 3 months like clock work for a year, again no complications. Had Flipper go limp during his bath a few years ago. I thought he passed and put him in iso. :( Within an hour he had molted, showing no pms's at all.
Have you, or when was the last time you calibrated your humidity gauge?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

ladybug15057 wrote:Molting for some can take from not even a week up to 4-6 months. We had one we thought was depressed. He did not move in almost 2 months. We placed him in the food and water dishes daily hoping he was nibbling or drinking. BANG he molted. Next time (a month later) he was moving about and next morning he molted? Same hermie different symptoms...no complications with either molt. Had a Jumbo, Shelly who molted every 3 months like clock work for a year, again no complications. Had Flipper go limp during his bath a few years ago. I thought he passed and put him in iso. :( Within an hour he had molted, showing no pms's at all.
Have you, or when was the last time you calibrated your humidity gauge?
No i havent. I think its broken. It will never move almost, even if i mist alot.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Your gauge probably isn't accurate, then. I'd recommend trying to get one from a home improvement store. I use outdoor temperature/humidity gauges in my tank because the ones in pet stores are awful.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.