HELP!!!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

HELP!!!

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All..My crab Gnome has been in the same spot since i put him there last night...I just went to put him in his water dishes as i do everyday and he nearly fell out of his shell every time i tried to pick him up...I thought he was dead so i turned him upside down so he wouldn't fall out and picked him up...i think i can see very slight movement with his big claw though my eyes could be tricking me...Im hoping for a surface molt even though he molted not long ago as maybe he is trying to grow the 2 legs back that he lost first and only molt...I have put him back where he was but i thought what if he is dying and not molting?!?...what if he needs water?!?...I put him in his water yesterday and all day yesterday he had his head in a different shell thinking about switching for the millionth time...Is there a difference to tell whether they are molting or dying?...Temp with the crab heat pad is usually 19 overnight (its been a very cold winter for Aus) but during the day is around 23-25..humidity has been 75% since the morning...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Re: HELP!!!

Post by Ginger »

Quick question: why do you put your crabs in the water dish each day? I know there is a lot of info out there stating you have to "bath" your crabs, however with the water dishes easily accessed your crabs will balance out the need for water themselves. To help myself I think: would something do this for them in their natural habitat? If not, I avoid doing it.

If Gnome has just finished moulting recently, he may still be weak from this stressful proccess. Usually they need a week or two just to harden their exoskeleton and adjust to being above ground again, and generally handling should be kept to a minimum during this time. Based on the fact that he had the strength to check out some shells yesterday, and in the photo he is leaning out of his shell (to right himself I would imagine?) I would say he is just recovering. You may need some extra advice from others in the food department, but giving plenty of variety in all food groups, especially in the protein section will ensure he gets a good range of nutrients. Keep up the correct temp and humidity ranges and keep handling to a minimum. After a while he should be OK.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Poppit is putting the crab into the water bowl because it lost several limbs in its last molt; normally this isn't needed but when a crab has become handicapped, ensuring it does get a chance to get both types of water and food can mean the difference between life and death.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Hi Ginger...I actually put him in that position to take the pic he does not move from that position at all but if i tip him right way up he goes to fall out...he has recovered from his last molt changing shells and eating being really active up to the last 2days....Emmac is correct that i have to place Gnome in the water dishes because he has lost the legs on his big claw side so i am unsure if he can get in to drink and bathe himself...Also i rarely handle him except to put him in the water dishes...I might leave him be as i wouldn't be able to put him in the water dishes anyway as he slumps out of his shell (i dont want him to fall out of his shell) and hopefully its another molt and he pulls through...I have grown very fond of Gnome since he came up from his molt and gained so much confidence and driving me nuts with his shell changes....C'mon Gnome!!!
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

So i think i can see Gnome moving slightly really hard to tell though...he is in his igloo which is his favourite spot...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Must admit he doesnt look real good :-(

Is there anyway you can get those temperatures up a bit? Even for winter the daytime one is a bit low. A lot of these crabs are from Broome in WA and for example today they are expecting a top of 32c so although their temps drop at night in winter during the day its still nice and warm. Id be trying to get the temp up to 26-28 during the day to take a bit off stress from him.

Also, what sort of sand is that? Seems very large pieces and a strange colour? Or is that just the photo?

I think you may need to prepare yourself that your little guy may not make it though.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Appps i agree with everything you've said...im not happy with the temp at all and im considering even buying another hermit heat pad even though its only a 5 gallon tank...or possibly a stand up lamp...the temp is about 23 right now....That sand is chunky and its reptile quarts sand that had a pic of a hermit crab on the bag...I just bought play sand and coir brick...im thinking about changing the tank substrate but dont want to stress Gnome if he is molting...
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I'm wondering if bits of that sharp sand in the shells is behind him not staying in. I'd be tempted to change it but super fast with as little disturbance to him as possible.

Then give all the spare shells a really good rinse under the tap to get any sand out, then boil for 5 minutes, allow to cool and return.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I did rinse some of the shells as they had sand in them with very hot water but as he shuffles the shell around he probably gets sand in them anyway...just a note...i put my gadge on top of the igloo(Gnome is in the igloo)and the temp went up to 80 degrees F which is where the heat pad is...on the far upper right where the gadge is normally the temp is 73-74 degrees F(I forgot about that being away from the heated side therefore being the cool side duh lol)...My crabs are always around the heat pad side so i guess 80F is what they like...I think i will carefully move him into a plastic container and change the substrate...might add a bit of the coir brick to one end of the tank.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Gnome died!!!