Care during moulting

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
CAS_678
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 11
Total tanks: 1

Care during moulting

Post by CAS_678 »

My three hermies have been buried for two days now, perhaps down for a moult, perhaps not!

If all my crabs are down at the same time for an extended period, what do I need to provide in the tank topside?

Eg. Do I keep providing fresh food and water everyday?
New carer of 3 Australian Land Hermit Crabs & on a very steep learning curve!
First moult: May 2013!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Care during moulting

Post by aussieJJDude »

It a good idea to do so, you never know when they going to comeback up :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Plus, if they're down during the day, they might surface at night and re-bury! You can leave dry food for a day or two or three if you don't see any of it in the food bowl is bothered.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Becky
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 4
Total tanks: 1

Post by Becky »

Just awarded my first hermies by greatgrandsons and the smallest crab is already molting. I read that regrowing exoskeleton was triggered by darkness. He has buried himself in the sand inside his coconut hut. Should I keep his area dark all of the time? Like put a towel over his section to darken it, or does the sand provide enough darkness? Will he come out to eat and drink? Does he need a special food? Thank you.