I have a problem concerning mold and molters

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
joshholman
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 2

I have a problem concerning mold and molters

Post by joshholman »

Hello, I am new to having hermit crabs(three months now), and I have a bit of a problem. I read online that it is ok to let hermit crabs molt in the main tank. Well i have two crabs under right now, one who has been buried for a few weeks and another that went down two days ago(I'm not sure if he is molting or just digging.) Well anyway, I woke up this morning and noticed a small amount of mold in the corner next to the water dishes. I removed the mold with my hands and smoothed out the substrate (I use Eco Earth Coconut fiber). I want to change the substrate so the mold doesnt come back and harm my crabs but I know its not good to disturb buried hermit crabs. What should I do? I have a ten Gallon tank with a UTH and a Zilla light above the tank to keep it warm and I have six crabs in there total. Three medium sized crabs and Three small crabs. The two that are buried are the smallest two. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh Holman
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: I have a problem concerning mold and molters

Post by ladybug15057 »

Mold is not an ideal situation to have, especially when one has hermies burrowed. Question, do you have another tank you can more those on the surface to? (some have found while waiting for 1-2 hermies to surface another or two will burrow in the meanwhile)
But to help stunt the growth of the mold a little you may want to consider misting in that area with ocean/sea water that you mix.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
joshholman
Zygote
Zygote

Post by joshholman »

I have a small plastic cage I got from the pet store when i first bought them, but it is not the ideal place for four crabs. I planned on using it for molters and keeping an UTH under it but the went under before i could do anything. Now one of my crabs has a black spot on his leg that i haven't noticed before. Should I isolate him? and also wold it be ok to change the substrate so my other crabs dont get sick too? I know that would disturb the molters but I wold rather take the risk of losing a molting hermit crab over losing all six crabs. that would really bum my girlfriend and me out :(
joshholman
Zygote
Zygote

Post by joshholman »

Sorry I forgot to answer these questions:
What is the volume of your main tank?
10 gal

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
4. three small and three medium

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
about 3 months

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
Eco Earth coconut fiber (about 6 to 8 inches)

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
They love ritz crackers, mealworms, hbh variety bites, and sometimes fruits and veggies

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
tap

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
zoomed hermit crab drinking water conditioner

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Zoomed Salt water drops that i add to the dechlorinated water

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
over head light and uth on the left side

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
no

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
72-78% most of the time.

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
between 70 and 76

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
no sadly i don't
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sorry I forgot to answer these questions:
What is the volume of your main tank?
10 gal
How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
4. three small and three medium
This sounds like it is an overcrowded condition. With this many and their sizes, and the tank deco’s, water dishes, shells, etc. For a 10 gal tank, it is recommended no more than 3-4 small/tiny hermies.
What do you feed your hermit crabs?
They love ritz crackers, mealworms, hbh variety bites, and sometimes fruits and veggies
I would suggest to throw out the hbh variety bites… If one uses a dry food it should be either dehydrated and/or freeze dried with no preservatives always offering natural foods for their natural oils and juices. They should be offered a food from each food group daily.
(about ½ way down this page)
http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... p?faqid=91

And our sister site:
http://hermitcrabcuisine.com/
If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
zoomed hermit crab drinking water conditioner
This does not remove heavy metals from tap water. (it does NOT say it does on the box or on the internet.)
What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Zoomed Salt water drops that i add to the dechlorinated water
This is not a good salt mix to use and has no beneficial purpose in a hermies life. The must have an ocean/sea mix sold specifically for salt water fish.
http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=20
(Have you read/reviewed the Crab Care section?)

http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabcare/
Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings? No
Majority of the time the humidity gauges are off when we buy them and can be off by up to 20% so it is VERY important to calibrate/test them.

A little reminder too… one should NEVER go digging for a hermie when they are burrowed. (this is mentioned in the Crab Care section too…)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
joshholman
Zygote
Zygote

Post by joshholman »

Thank your for the advice. I'm going to invest in a larger tank and I will go get some salt water and better food now so they can at least have that until I can afford a more suitable living environment.
Thanks again :)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Check Craigs list and/or free cycle in your area for a larger tank. Or one can ask the pet store if they have any leakers.... a tanks does not need to hold water for hermies like it does for fish.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

joshholman
Zygote
Zygote

Post by joshholman »

I was able to find a cheap 30 gal tank on craigslist that i am going to get this weekend. I also bought some Petco brand fresh and salt water for hermit crabs. I will keep the molters in the ten gallon tank and use it as the new ISO cage. I'm still new to this but hopefully in the next week or two i will have a suitable living condition so my crabs can do crab-like activities happily.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Petco has 2 types of water with their name on it.
This for fresh water:
http://www.petco.com/product/105975/Pet ... Crabs.aspx

and this for salt water:
http://www.petco.com/product/105974/Pet ... Crabs.aspx

Now they sell this Petco brand:
http://reviews.petco.com/3554/11884/pet ... eviews.htm

http://www.petco.com/product/101391/Pet ... t-Mix.aspx

If it is the glub water, I would strongly recommend to return them and get an actual marine/salt water fish mix. Glub salt mix does not have the same 'elements' in it as a marine/salt mix does.
I realize this may be a lot of info at first, but it is important to have the proper items for the hermies.

Edited to add, and it would cost a lot less to use bought distilled bottle water. About 85 cents for a gallon as opposed to the glub water. It is important however to offer a proper ocean/sea pond and nutritious diet...but one should do this anyway so no harm done. I have used distilled water for about 9 years....no ill effects and no guessing with a dechlorinator. BUT for washing and boiling items I do use a dechlor with tap water.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

joshholman
Zygote
Zygote

Post by joshholman »

I finally got a bigger tank, and I also got the correct saltwater to go with it. but when i woke up this morning all but one hermit crab has buried itself. should i be worried since i suspect two of the crabs are molting? They all have been avoiding food and spending time in the saltwater i have provided for them. Could they all be molting? Should I put the one crab remaining in the new tank or leave him in the ten gallon with the others? I worried that i didnt get the bigger tank in time and that they are all sick. The temp is at 72 and humidity is 76