Need some advice!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Need some advice!

Post by Gizaroo »

Hey all! I need some advice...I don't know what to do!

Banjo has been shell shopping an awful lot lately...which usually means she's going to molt soon. I noticed yesterday she was looking a little uncomfortable in her shell, and I got home from work just a few minutes ago and looked at the tank like I always do, and she is extremely swollen looking. She has changed into a shell that is too small...Currently she is just sitting on top of the container of shells...

What is going on and what can I do?

Here's some pics. (will edit with pics shortly when they're uploaded)

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... G_0859.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... G_0860.jpg
http://s976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... G_0861.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... G_0862.jpg
http://s976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... G_0863.jpg
Last edited by Gizaroo on 01 May 2011, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Re: Need some advice!

Post by Gizaroo »

Oh my goodness! I went to put Banjo in the tank below with some big shells temporarily, and I found Luka...Apparently she had left her shell the other day when I had all them in the other tank. I could have sworn I counted 6 crabs when I put them all back in the main tank. I feel horrible!! :,( She's dead.

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Oh dear, sorry for your loss... :(
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

If only I had left the thing of water in there...I usually put it in there from their main tank, then take it out when I switch them back. I feel so horrible!

Banjo has switched into a much bigger shell...thank goodness! Is she getting ready to molt? Why would she be so swollen?

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

She has switched into another shell. Poor thing :(

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Gizaroo2 a question, what are you using for a substrate?
From what I can see in the pictures Banjo's eye stalks are not standing straight up, but have a slight downward curve to them. The inner part of the pupils look a little con-caved, and on a couple of joints I see where it has pulled away from the new exo. I would strongly recommend to leave Banjo with plenty of shells, food, both waters and totally leave him be. To be changing shells so much he must be un-comfy which could be stressful in itself. Please try to resist the urge to peek.
Yes, I understand this is so much easier said then done, but for his welfare a huge attempt should be made. Get anxious? Come here to this post and type until the anxiety level lowers... it does help.
Good Luck!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

ladybug15057 wrote:Gizaroo2 a question, what are you using for a substrate?
From what I can see in the pictures Banjo's eye stalks are not standing straight up, but have a slight downward curve to them. The inner part of the pupils look a little con-caved, and on a couple of joints I see where it has pulled away from the new exo. I would strongly recommend to leave Banjo with plenty of shells, food, both waters and totally leave him be. To be changing shells so much he must be un-comfy which could be stressful in itself. Please try to resist the urge to peek.
Yes, I understand this is so much easier said then done, but for his welfare a huge attempt should be made. Get anxious? Come here to this post and type until the anxiety level lowers... it does help.
Good Luck!

It's aragonite sand. Her eye stalks were down because I took those pics. She has become very shy. I moved her back in the main tank simply because it has the correct climate, and I haven't messed with her since. I don't have funds to get a thermostat got the 5.5 gal tank which is why I decided not to leave her in there. There's plenty of food, sand, shells and water to keep them all happy, and I haven't had any problems with molts thus far. She just got so bloated looking so suddenly that it worries me. :( I don't normally do anything with the tank except for changing water and food, and I'll briefly skim the tank visually to check on everyone.

Especially so after finding Luka. :(

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Had to add some water to the bowls in the tank, and saw Banjo has changed into yet another shell. I wasn't looking for her, but she is in a pot (where she likes to hang out) with her shell blocking the entrance.

She actually changed into a shell nobody on here was sure that hermies used, but that I had put in there because it was extra big.

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

She has changed shells again

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85

Post by CrabbyJo »

Gizaroo, I noticed that it hadn't been mentioned - or I missed it - that being swollen is often a sign of an impending molt. Going with the swelling and the symptoms that Marie mentioned, your little one is probably uncomfortable as mentioned and may be preparing to molt.

Emmac350 had a similar situation where her E, Toodles, was extremely swollen and uncomfortable for a while, then finally the swelling went down and Toodles dug down for a molt after much worry and shell changing.
here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3343&hilit=toodles

I have to warn you though, in the end after Toodles molt, she did pass, but there is no telling if it had any relation to her pre-molt situation, or if something else happened after. But she did have a successful molt.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.