I think my hermit crab is getting ready to molt!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
lilohermies
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

I think my hermit crab is getting ready to molt!

Post by lilohermies »

He's been eating a lot, spending excessive time in the salt water pool, drinking a lot, and there's been much less activity lately. Today, he burried himself in the soil for about an hour and resurfaced. I think he wanted to molt, but realized the substrate wasn't deep enough. (It's only about an inch deep right now because they just moved into their new 50 gallon tank and I haven't had time to get more substrate.) :'(

This is his second molt, but the first time he molted, I didn't understand how critical this process was, so I paid no special attention to it. Now that I realize how important it is, how can I make it so he can molt comfortably and happily?

1) Should I get an Iso tank? I still have their old 5 1/2 gallon tank available.
2) What's the best substrate for molting? I can go buy some tomorrow.
3) What foods should I provide for him?
4) Should I keep the lights off in my room until he has completely molted?

Any tips would really help. I realize now that he easily could have died during his last molt since I had him in one of those horrible starter kits, and I am so lucky he survived that molt. Please help! I only have two crabs and I would be devastated if I lost him.
abegie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 16
Total tanks: 2

Re: I think my hermit crab is getting ready to molt!

Post by abegie »

To use an Iso tank or not is a choice each crabber has to make for themselves. Some people swear by them, but I'm personally of the opinion that leaving them in the main tank is the best option. If you have a good substrate where they can bury themselves and give themselves the privacy they need, that is far less stressful than suddenly at this stressful time putting them in an entirely new environment. But that is my opinion and many people have successful molts using an iso.

As to substrate I would read the care section of this website for ideas. I personally like coarse sand with a little EE mixed in as it packs very well and their tunnels hold up nicely but you certainly cant go wrong using just EE.

As to food, I would keep feeding him a nutritionally balanced diet and make sure that their are calcium sources available for when he is done molting. I like to occasionally sprinkle crushed oyster shell over the surface of my substrate.

And if you have an appropriate substrate where your crab can bury properly I would leave your regular light cycle going for the benefit of your other crab(s).
Owned by Wyatt, Virgil, James, Morgan, Bat, and Ed
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If he has and is burrowing I would suggest to leave him be but be prepared. (and in have a cut 2 liter bottle or glass of a picture frame in case you need to section him off) Since he was just moved to the larger tank, he may also be experiencing some form of PPS due to the new environment too.
Whether to have an iso set up or not, for emergencies it is recommended to have some form of an iso ready even if it is an in the tank critter keeper. I do use an iso tank for molters, but this is when I note the pms's. I also make it familiar to them by moving some of the substrate to the iso where they were at and sprinkle it in the same location in the iso with the hidey they were comfy with too. (my iso's are set up like mini main tanks with same conditions)
What substrate are you using now?
Keep the same night and day cycle, but have a hut too where he can seek darkness if he wants/needs to. Remember to also monitor the substrate temps.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
lilohermies
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilohermies »

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently using ecoearth (the expandable kind) and I just bought more, so now its about 4 inches deep. (My crabs are generally small.) Are there any specific foods you would reccomend to help prepate him for a molt? Right now, they eat mango, coconut, blueberries,
carrots, and some commecial foods. I know calcium is critical at this time, but I heard crushed oyster shell can sometimes puncture a crab's soft abdomen. :O I'm afraid the same may happen with cuttlebone. So any tips on how to get that calcium into his diet? I'm also looking for a protein source, but i've never fed them any meat and i'm afraid if I start now they'll be intolerant.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Feed the meat and chitin, VERY important. Also one can grind up crushed oyster shells into a powder in a blender or coffee grinder, same as with the cuttlebone. If you cannot use the blender, one can use a baggy (preferably a ziploc) and a hammer to crush the cuttlebone.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
lilohermies
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilohermies »

Thanks! So for the meat: do I cook it? And if so, how? And I'll be sure to get some cuttlebone and oyster shells and grind them up with a blender as you suggested! So do I put that in their food bowl, or should I just sprinkle that over the substrate? I think I read about that somewhere in the crab care section...
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I just add a small pile of the oyster shells to their food bowl. Make sure not to inhale any of the dust that will stir up from grinding them... not good for human lungs.
For meat, you can put a piece off to the side prior to seasoning it for yourself and heat it up for the hermies. Microwaves would work for this too as opposed to needing to actually cooking the meat. All shell fish must be at least steamed prior to serving due to possible shell disease.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

naejakire
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 20

is my hermit crab moulting?

Post by naejakire »

I have three PPs and one very small E. The E has been under the substrate for a few weeks now. It was so sudden I did not know to move him into an ISO.

From what I can see, every two or three nights he changes position. I can tell because there will be a hole where he came up then a lump where he buried again. I was beginning to think he's just hanging out under there but it's been a few weeks. I know that when a hermie moults, other hermies want to munch on the defenseless one's exo. However, it's as if the other three don't even know he's there. He's moving positions and the tank doesn't smell. They are generally only active at night, only coming out after they think I'm asleep because they are in a 30 gallon in my room. They're pretty smart.

Has anyone had this experience with a moulter moving positions? Maybe he's not moulting at all? I'm really not sure because of the long period of time. Any advice is appreciated!
Ecuadorian: Napoleon
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Above you will find some other feedback on a hermit molting.
I know that when a hermie moults, other hermies want to munch on the defenseless one's exo.
This is known to happen, but does not happen all the time.
Some hermies are known to burrow a few times prior to deciding on the perfect place for their molting nest. Some hermies just burrow for fun and entertainment. Some will burrow for privacy, warmth, or coolness. Check your perimeters of the tank and all you can do is let him do what he is doing without digging him up.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)