Newbie that needs a little help~

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: Newbie that needs a little help~

Post by ZuZu »

(hey what do u play? I play violin) well if there is no way that UR crab could get out I would think she was digging in the sand, somtimes when my crabs are molting and dig down over night there is no evidence that they have gone down at all! but if you are not sure I would put some food on the floor of the room that the tank is in and then check in the room every now and then to see if it has come out. I would consider camping out in the room for the night to keep an eye on the food since they are noctournal. and be sure to close the door(s) and windows too.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Trust your instincts - if there's absolutely no chance of her getting out, then she must be buried. My tank lids are positioned in such a way that it is impossible for the hermit crabs to get out, but allows plenty of airflow at the same time.

I play the viola. My A string snapped inside the case recently for some unknown reason though...
Wai
jwheat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10

Post by jwheat »

Okay, then she must be burried- I don't see her being able to get out of my tank with a text book on the lid, plus the lid is fairly heavyweight and I never forget to put the lid back on after taking it off. I put a bit of food in her tank a while ago, just in case she comes back up for a snack. :)

I play the oboe but I am currently playing percussion for this semester's repetoire, my main percussion instruments are xylophone/marimba, orchestral bells, triangle, suspended cymbal and crash cymbals. That's really neat that you play violin ZuZu, and that you play viola Wai. I love the way string instruments sound. Your string got broken in the case?
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ZuZu »

weird! my strings always break when tuneing (once my E-string snapped in my face it hurt, -.- and I was so scared to tune after that but am now over it XD )
I hope for the best for your crab! if molting!
I love my five hermies:
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It's the second time actually - both times the A string on my viola snapped while it was in the case. Similarly on my beginner violin (which I sold a few months ago), the D string snapped (first time while I was tuning, second time inside the case for an unknown reason).

There are no kids in our household, so I don't think anyone has been stepping on the cases. I now loosen the strings before putting them in the case if I don't plan to play them for a while.
Wai
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ZuZu »

aww... that must suck that the string is breaking for no reason! one of my friends e-string snapped recently and still has no replaced it so there is just three strings (we have a concert tomorrow too ^) ) so i always freak when I see it and tell her to get a new string but she has no time -.- none of my string have snapped in FOREVER so that makes me happy XD :P

Crabs: isn't it always frustrating how you never know when crabs'll come up from a molt!? I find it very distressing... and think come on! come up already your absence is making me go crazy! I want your cute little face showing up at the side of the tank to say hi to me every day I come home! the guy that is down has lost one of his short antenna so he was lopsided when he went down so when you looked at him head on it looked like when I did when i pulled a muscle in my neck and had to hold it lopsided for weeks (long story)

Oh yeah one more thing i wanted to rescue a crab that is really #D chibi #D but NOOO not alowed! (at least I got some person to listen about crab care at the store... what makes me happy is they no longer have painted shells what they DO need to change is temp, humidity, food, shelter (they have half logs), and substrate (type and deepness) hope they change again!
I love my five hermies:
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

4 hermies already in a 10 gal tank is a good number as long as they are small. May want to consider waiting until you can get a larger tank before adding to the hermie family.
I find it very distressing... and think come on! come up already your absence is making me go crazy!
I know of a few crabbers who swear their hermies have little hidden peeking windows in the substrate and wiggle their antennas at them giggling because of how anxious they get waiting for them to resurface. :)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ZuZu »

well these are teeny ones we are talking about, the one at the store is hmmm... may be the size of a penny?! and my current ones are quarter sized... my crabs love to tease me I swear, they will not go a night without making a huge mess XD or they will drag around their food all over the tank! #D
but i just cannot help but love em...
I love my five hermies:
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
jwheat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10

Post by jwheat »

My crab had a really successful underground molt that lasted about 1 month and 3 days! :D Limbs that were broken are now restored, she is very active and climbing around now! I'm really really happy~

I think the hardest thing for me was... was waiting for her to stop molting. It was nerve-racking. She left suddenly and I couldn't find her anywhere and was afraid to dig around for her in case she really was molting. Then a few days ago she popped up and hooray! She was all better and all hardened. :) She dug under her freshwater bowl, so I guess that's why I never found a hole.

Anyway, just wanted to update! Hooray~ she lived through a successful molt with me :)

Oh and I turned 20 years old. Hooray!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Happy birthday! The wait is never comfortable, even for someone like me who has witnessed loads of moults.
Wai