Messed Up

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
redhotlmd
Zygote
Zygote

Messed Up

Post by redhotlmd »

Hi. I've only had my hermit crabs for 2months and my smallest crab molted. I thought it had died, so I picked him up to toss him. Luckily, I saw eyes in the shell. What a shock!
Unfortunately, I have been misty him almost daily for the last week. I started to grow worried when I noticed that he has not grown his large claw back.
Have I messed him up? I have been picking him up, he has not salt water and I threw away his skeleten.
What should I do? I feel awful. I have tried so hard to keep them happy and healthy. I wish I had checked your site sooner. :(
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Uh oh... you need to take serious action. First of all, you should NEVER throw out a hermit crab's exoskeleton. 90% of the crab's calcium is stored in the exo. Well, you can give him egg shells to help boost his calcium back to harden the new skin.

Secondly, NEVER handle a crab when he has molted. He is under severe stress after a molt. Picking him up will make him think that he is about to be attacked, and the chemicals on your hand may interfere with his new skin.

Thirdly, NEVER mist a crab when he has just molted. He is trying to harden his new skin, and it makes sense that wetting him will just make the situation worse.

Also, molted crabs must have access not only to salt water, but fresh water as well. Did you put any water dishes in there for him? And don't use table salt, that contains iodine. Use aquarium salt.

Now calm down... he will be alright. Is he in a separate tank? The other crab may attack him, or even eat him alive. Keep him in a dark place with plenty of humidity and warmth. Do you have a hygrometer and a thermometer gauge to check the humidity and temperature? The temp. should be around 25 degrees Celsius and the humidity at least 75%.

Good luck... :)
Wai
redhotlmd
Zygote
Zygote

Thanks

Post by redhotlmd »

Thanks for the quick response.
He is already isolated. Luckily, I got that right. The temp is 23 degrees Celcius and the humidity is 82%. I'm have a under tank heater, but it doesn't seem to warm the sand enough. Suggestion?!!
I cleaned the old tank and found a couple of broken up claws, so I put those in his tank. I will add a few egg shells also, thanks.
I already had fresh water, but I did add salt water yesterday. Does the water need to be deep enough for him to sit in or will a small shell be ok?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I'd suggest throwing out the old claws. They may have mold on them, and it wouldn't be safe for your hermie to eat them.

If possible, use a dish. I find that shells dry out the water much faster than normal dishes. Don't make the water too deep, because you don't want him to drown in it.

If you want to purchase an undertank heater, you can post under the Classifieds section; buy, trade etc.
Wai