Small Rug Molt or Not?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Small Rug Molt or Not?

Post by aries »

I have a small Rug that has been down for about three weeks now and Iam starting to worry. Should I try to find him and make sure he's ok? Should I leave him a lone a little longer? If so, how long should I wait?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I'm in the same situation as you are. My little crab Neptune had been under the sand for three weeks, and I spoke to crabstreetjournal (Vanessa) about moving him back in the big tank. She agreed, so when I tried digging him out, I found that he had molted! I'd suggest you leave him alone for a little longer, until you notice a bad smell coming from where the crab is buried.
Wai
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

I will leave him alone then. I don't want to bother him. I don't know where he buried at. He was up and fine before I went to bed and then was no-where to be found the next morning. I know he is dug under somewhere, just am worried. He is in the main tank with the others and I worry about them digging him up to. I wish I'd have caught him before he went under so I could have put him in iso. Didn't see any signs because he is very shy and when I would approach the tank he would go into his shell. Oh well, I will just have to be patient.
Hannah
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Hannah »

Yes just leave him alone. How long have you had him? If he is new, he is probly destressing, or decided to destress and molt in the middle of it. Let him stay under for a couple of more weeks and if he still hasn't come up I would look underneath the tank through the glass and if you can't see him, very very gently dig him up with a soft, unused paintbrush to brush the sand from around him.
If any problems, PM or

email an Administrator or Moderator!!!
Our site: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com
This is my sister's story- http://pages.ivillage.com/luvne
If

my advice doesn't help, PM, IM, or email me at blondey42992@yahoo.com
Thanks!!
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

Great news!! Shortly after these posts my little Shadow came up. I was so excited. I had been looking in the tank the other night and he wasn't there then I turned to do something and looked back and there he was trucking down the long side, heading for the plants. I was so excited I called all my friends (they think I am nuts for even having hermies) and they just laughed. WooHoo!!!!