How often will my crab molt? How long should he be in ISO?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
johnny
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Re: How often will my crab molt? How long should he be in ISO?

Post by johnny »

8| so how long should a hermie be in an iso my hermie just molted today and i put him into a iso tank but he looks really sluggish and i dont know what to do or how long to keep him in there can any one help with some answers i am a newbe at this plz and thanks -.-
JOHNNY
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I'm sure the more experienced crabbers have a lot of questions for you.
First, I'm concerned that you put him in iso and he hasn't got his exoskeleton to eat. I'm not sure, but he may have come up for some fresh air, but left his exo down underneath and he needs to eat that to help build his new exoskeleton and help it harden.
He should be left undisturbed, just make sure he's got a fresh dechlorinated bowl of water and an ocean salt mixture bowl of water, as well as some high energy foods and high calcium foods. One mixture I've seen mentioned is organic honey and crushed cuttlebone.
My post molter is eating that as well as flax seed meal (ground flax seeds), which have important oils in them. He is getting organic peanutbutter (protein) and egg yolk (protein).
Also, make sure the temperature and humidity in the iso are at the desired ranges - namely 73-80 Degrees and about 70% humidity.
One of the most important things once these are all in place is that you do not touch, hold, or otherwise disturb your post-molter. His energy stores are depleted and he needs to be stressed as little as possible.
You may have made a mistake moving him into iso without his exoskeleton, but it's a good thing you are here asking questions. You will get the help you need to take the best care of your hermit crab. :)

Edit: A question has occurred to me: Why did you iso your crab after his molt? Were the other crabs being threatening to him?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
johnny
Zygote
Zygote

Post by johnny »

ok he has his exo but he has been in there for a week and he is crussing around but he is being stubbron about getting in his sheel why6 wont he get in to a shell i went and got a huge verrity of shells but he gets into a shell but never stays in there and i have no idea how to keep him in there he is moving around all the time but no shell ? i am not sure he eats great and all that but i am worried about him not being in a shell?? andy help would be great thanks agin for all the help so far
JOHNNY
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What is the humidity percentage of your tank?
What is the air temperature of the tank, and what is the substrate temp?? (cool end and warm end)
Do you offer an ocean water pond and if so what brand of ocean water do you use?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: How often will my crab molt? How long should he be in IS

Post by CrabbyJo »

Hermie_Lover,
I moved your post to it's own topic, as it really didn't fit in this topic which is well over two years old.
You can see your new post here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4285

ladybug15057 edit to add:

and the post was merged with your other "Semi new to exotics" that was about your strawberry molting. It is here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4282
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
beka
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 72
Total tanks: 2

Post by beka »

i had no clue one of my pps was going to molt. she seems just fine and normal. then one morning i looked in the tank and thought she was dead cause her exo was flat and kind of underneath sticking out of the shell. so of course i picked her up and she came out a bit to greet me. i knew immediatly she molted and put her back with the intention of not messing with her for a while. but instead she was out and about playing and eating and whatnot later that day! anyone else had that kind of expericence?
HermieGirLover
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0

Post by HermieGirLover »

if he has already dug down into the substrate how could i put him in iso tank. if i cant then should i put the othe one in iso tank. (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Do you have the proper substrate for them to safely moult in? (Eg: at least 6 inches of play sand/EE or whatever you use?) How big is the tank as well?
Assuming that you have the basics covered, I would personally just leave him and that other crab in there. I personally only use an ISO for emergencies; such as a surface moulter, mites, flooding ect. otherwise I just leave them be. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

Exactly. Do not dig up a molting crab unless it's a true emergency. Otherwise, leave him/her alone. How big is your tank? If it's big enough for the crabs in it, I wouldn't move the non-molter either. Keep feeding plenty of protein/calcium and you shouldn't have any cannibalism.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.