Need some advice!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Need some advice!

Post by Wai »

That's good to hear! I was a bit worried at first since hermit crabs that occasionally streak tend not to survive for much longer, but Banjo seems to be recovering. :)
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

She is still in a shell...she seems to be alot more content to stay in a shell (even if she's changing them now and again) since I boiled them all and re-offered them. She also is pigging out, and definitely has a molt sac showing.

*crosses fingers that she will molt soon*

Also, as a side note, Scuttles surfaces this morning with a beautiful new exo :)
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85

Post by CrabbyJo »

Congratulations on the successful molt!
Molting is always a stressful time, no matter how long you've had them. :)
Good luck!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

And Banjo is out of a shell again.... :(

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

She went back in a shell last night and is still in it...*sigh* Starting to wonder if she's going to be ok after all.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If it were me I would quit fussing as long as I knew she had a wide selection of clean shells to choose from. When a hermie leaves their shell it is usually due to some sort of stress. You have checked the tank perimeters and there is a cool side of 71-73*F and a warmer side of 78-80* F to the substrate for her to choose from. Sometimes fussing can create more stress for the hermie. It is rare Giz but some E's are known to leave their shells when in premolt. It is unknown why when all perimeters are in order that we know of and must be something that particular E has to do? I do believe in the one picture it was a water sac on her side which is a pms sign. I would leave her along, no peeking, taking pictures, flashing a flash light...nothing other than change to food and waters for fresh daily if needed. If she happens to be in a hut or partially buried no peeking, I would leave her be to do what she needs to do regardless of what that maybe.
Good Luck!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Only thing I do each day is peek in a corner to.check food.and water levels. I haven't been bothering her otherwise. :)
I'm just worried about her..and it makes me feel better to post! Haha. Her tank is still half covered with.some dark tshirts for privacy.

I apologize for any typos. I just got an android phone and am getting used to the typing lol.
thanks for the reply!

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

So I've not been looking at Banjo except to add water and food to her dishes as needed...Today however I noticed that she has left her shell again (after so long of being in it!) and is draining her salt water dish. Over the last 2 days, I've filled it 4 times. Tonight, she is sitting with her abdomen submerged in it.

She definitely has a molt sac...I wonder if she's ever going to molt?

Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

If she has a moult sac, then she shouldn't be far away from moulting.
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Thanks! She's really stressing me out lol. I feel bad keeping her isolated for so long, but it's for her own good. I can't believe how much salt water she's gone through in the last couple of days though.