Need some advice!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Re: Need some advice!

Post by Gizaroo »

I heard 2 crabs chirping, then turned around to look and banjo was dashing away from blu, naked, and blu was inspecting Banjo's old shell. It may be a water sac-I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. The substrate temp on the warmer side is 80 F and the cooler side is around 75 degrees F.Humidity stays around 78-80%.

No, I have no pure natural honey sadly...unless Vicky sent me some in one of my shipments of stuff. I have about an inch of sand on the cool side of the iso, and 2 inches on the warmer side. (There is a smaller UTH on that tank, so I can't keep as much sand as I'd like to)

She is definitely stressed out...I'll definitely put some of the main tanks substrate in there for her, and the "item" of interest is a small terra cotta pot I took out of the main tank initially. She likes the warmer side of the tank, that's for sure. She's always camping out there.
Last edited by Gizaroo on 14 Jun 2011, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Emma has a pretty good picture of her hermie here on HCP, it is down by the shell on her left side:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3343

I have a picture of my Squirmy, but it is a little blurry but you can make out where it is located:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... -Shell.jpg

It starts as a clear-ish looking with super tiny bubble like markings. As they get closer to molting it does change colors, and I have also noted those that are super close or about to molt it is a smokey black in coloring. One cannot see it on all premolters, but most do have them.
Banjo is an E? Is there any possible way also to get the cooler side closer to 71-72*F? with the warm side of 78-80* F? Majority of hermies will go to the cool side when in premolt, it helps them with 'shrinking' inside to remove their exo easier.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I can try adding some more sand tomorrow to try to bring it down a few degrees...that should help since it's not a super powerful UTH. She always seems to stay on the warm side however.

Yea, she is an E. I've had her for about a year now. I haven't been able to get a very good look at her..she is extremely defensive (understandably so!) and i'm trying to not disturb her more than I have to.

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

She is in a shell! Yay!

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

She ditched her shell again today.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Have you noted any difference at all? Windows open or closed, sprays or paints used (any odors even if outdoor odors... here the honeysuckle smell at times is overwhelming!) temp/humidity fluctuations, noises... as in redio's/tv's, grass cutting with windows open... any differences since she took a shell and now has left her shell. (other than being put in iso)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I'm not sure, as I was out of town the last 2 days. My sister was watching the crabs for me-all had fresh water (salt and fresh) and fresh food before I left, and the temperatures/humidity was all normal before I left, and when I checked it last night before going to bed. Nothing in the environment has changed-we've had some nasty storms move through...that's about it.

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

She is back in a shell now. I wonder if part of it is that she is getting her bottom covered in sand when she's naked, and some of it stays on her when she goes back into a shell? I cleaned out several of the shells with some fresh water earlier and she went back in one a few minutes ago.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I would lean that something was different for her to leave her shell again.
In the wild their shells get sand and other beach 'things' within them, and they groom the insides with their little legs. Matter of fact when they first size up a shell they need to clean it out to slide their little bottoms into it.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I just have no idea what it could be. All the parameters as far as I know have stayed the same and not fluctuated.