Need some advice!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Re: Need some advice!

Post by D'sCrabs »

Will the small plastic container fit into your main tank, if so you could always put it inside you main tank.. Just a thought.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

No, it's not small enough for that. I have other crabs buried in the main tank, and I don't know where they are, so I can't divide the tank out either.

Edit: Found another set of small containers that I normally use for shell bins and put one on top of the other to form a covered container. It's full of holes, so the air temp and stuff of the tank should be the exact same in her container. Sadly it is small, and there was room for a water dish, a tiny food dish and 2 extra shells. I wish I had something just a tad bigger. But she is back in the main tank now, and should be protected from the other crabs. On the plus side, though she has switched into a different shell, she is staying in her shell now.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Post by D'sCrabs »

Wish you luck..
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

It's been several weeks now and Banjo is showing no signs of going into a molt. Should I still keep her iso'd or do ya'll think it would be ok to move her back into the main tank?

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Put her back in the main tank if you feel it's appropriate. I ended up taking Eris out of the VIP room because he just kept popping back out unmoulted.
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Thanks Wai! Back to the main tank she will go then :] will keep everything running on the Iso tank just in case it is needed again soon though.

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Blu is being a bully...I have got to find some bigger shells! She just made Banjo leave hers so she could have it. *sigh* Have banjo in a plastic container with a bunch of other shells to try to get her to find another one.

While she was there, I thought I'd snap a couple of pics. This is the 2nd time she's gone naked...
Waiting for her to change into a shell so I can go to bed. lol

I'm not sure if I should put her back in the ISO or not...or if I should stick Blu in there.

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

*sigh* she is still naked...Blu didn't end up moving into the shell she kicked Banjo out of, so I have that in the container now as well and I hope she'll move back into it today.

I had put her back in the ISO tank last night but by this morning, she hadn't moved. I have her back in the plastic container with some water and some shells... *crosses fingers*

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Banjo naked, again

Post by Gizaroo »

I need help...

What should I do? She has now been out of a shell for a good 12 hours at least... She's shown interest in a few, but won't go into them.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Gizaroo2 did you see Blu take Banjo's shell? On the pictures, is that a water sac on her left side?
Have you triple checked the substrate temp of your main tank and iso?
Seems Banjo is stressed, and best that can be done right now is to make sure the perimeters of the tank are in order, (and double check the humidity gauge too), cover part of the tank so it is dark, and just leave her be for awhile so she can calm down. This is SO much easier said then done, but to help her calm down, something that is needed. Good Luck!

Edited to ask: Do you have any pure natural honey you can offer her?
Can you take a little of the main tank substrate, (just about 1/4 cup) put it in the iso with one of her favored items from the main tank to have something familiar in there with her? If you have noted where she seemed to favor in the main tank (warm or cooler side) sprinkle the substrate in that are in the iso, and put the 'item' there for her too. If you would prefer due to the iso being cleaner/or the main tank needing a deep clean soon, you can use the larger lid of a margarine dish, or tupperware type container and sprinkle the substrate on it. Just something that she can have a familiar scent from to cut a little anxiety down for her.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.