An unexpected molter :(

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Re: An unexpected molter :(

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

I have placed something over the towel as Ive been afraid of my cat getting to him. I used to keep the door shut but because its been so hot Ive left my door open to give my room air. The towel stays damp for quite some time so I guess maybe my readings may be off more than 5% like I.thought

Its been a month since Ive done that...

Not sure how Charlie or willow are doing as I havent been home. Probably a good thing for poor charlie Dx
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

UPDATE: So I have some exciting new! I returned home to find Willow moving but not molting. He still wont come out :/

Anyway I peaked at my iso to find the sand heavily disturbed around where I had Charlie. There was sand in both water dishes and his ectoskeleton legs were scattered everywhere. Charlie was also on his side and in a different spot to. From what I can tell his eaten everything but the legs (usually last right?) And his big claw.

I was so happy but also feeling dizzy - its happening so fast! It was only four days ago he was roaming around and two that I found him molted o.O
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Seems here the molters do eat the 'goody' parts first. (those which are softer that they can eat easier due to being so soft) Here, they will mostly eat the upper first joint of the legs too which aren't that hard, but harder than the torso part of the body. To encourage them to eat the rest of the lower harder joints and large pincher I will usually crush it to a powder type form, and the next day start offering their normal foods... soft or ground up.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

Its ok to do that? O.O

Ive heard a lot of buzz about honey. Is there other foods I should mainly offer him now?
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

UPDATE: So Charlie has now dug a little into the sand. Not sure if good or bad but atleast his moving :D
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Honey is a good one as long as it is pure honey.
I usually start with foods high in chitin, calcium and protein.
http://www.hermitcrabcuisine.com/

And then add the color enhancing foods, etc.
As for crushing the exo (?) we've done it for years with no ill effects.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

I meant was it ok to take out but I guess thats a yes (:

So now Charlie has completely buried himself? I'm worried, is he ok? :( Is it normal for surface moulters to bury once theyve moulted?

UPDATE: So after I posted I checked on Willow in the cave hidey too find him hanging out of his shell. I touched him and he wiggled his leg so I thought he was dead. I picked him up gently and realised he was mid moult! GROSS!!

Anyway I put him in my old smaller free iso tank and returned home to check on him and flip him the right way up as he'd turned over. His missing leg has grown back completely - Its so fascinating!

Morale of the story: 1) I have to stop assuming my hermies are dead, its bad for them and my health 2) My hermies are surface moulters so far :/ 3) They dont give off obvious signs to moulting.

Fingers crossed double that Charlie and Willow my toughest little guys survive their moults despite my bad screw ups :/
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

They should be fine. The thing about interrupting a molter during their molt is they can very easily become stuck within their exo. Is there an update?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

Oh really? OMG I feel awful :( Thankfully Willow got through his moult. Unfortunately he dropped his new leg two days after his moult :( I noticed when I was wetting the sand.

Charlie moved from under the dish to the cave hidey a few days ago with just a leg left so he seems ok. I noticed his colour is changing so he must be hardening ok. Its been nearly two weeks :S

Willow is a week today but his eaten all but two legs and a big claw so his actually doing better than I thought he would. I'm lucky I have such brave strong little crabs!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sounds like Charlie needs some good nutritious foods. He may not finish the leg and possibly should be encouraged to eat so he will keep getting stronger. And I would offer some color enhancing foods too to help with the coloring. (Willow too)
Willow should be ok, and sorry to hear about the dropped leg. Sometimes it takes awhile of a good nutritional diet and proper crabitat conditions for our little ones to 'fly' through a molt uneventful.
But they have made it which is a definite plus! Congratulations!!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)