I have a problem concerning mold and molters

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: I have a problem concerning mold and molters

Post by ladybug15057 »

It would not be surprising at all if they do decide to do a molt after receiving what they need to do so with successfully. I would suggest to leave them be, no digging, brushing/blowing of the substrate... nothing. Hermies have been known to prolong molting if the conditions are not right for them to survive, but there are those times they do not have the choice.
If the temp is 72*F this is ok for the cool side, but there needs to be a warmer side to the substrate of 78-80*F too. But if you do not know where they buried, do not try to bump the heat now.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
joshholman
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 2

Post by joshholman »

Ok thank you for the info. I'm going to put my little crab Marley in the new tank, He just seems so lonely. I will keep you updated on how everything goes with my new pets.
Wish them luck!!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I've found nothing seems to make crabs go under like an owner with a brand new tank for them lol

While I'm no expert I'd move the one on his own over since he is going to be by himself either way and just keep an eye out for the others and add as they come up. I'd also do a bit of listening at night because often when I think mine are under I'll still hear then banging round against the glass at night so you may be able to grab another one and move across then.

As for mold only time I've had it was when I had timber touching damp sand, the timber grew mould. Just check you haven't got the substrate too wet in that spot that started growing the mould.

Good luck!!
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
joshholman
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 2

Post by joshholman »

Just an update, since i upgraded to the bigger tank I have had four successful molts and all the crabs are more active and healthy. I have a 29 gallon tank with a screen lid covered in plastic wrap to keep in humidity. they really enjoy climbing the wood up to the screen lid then hanging from the top. now that i have the proper set up my crabs are healthier than ever :)