Pale after molt X2

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Pale after molt X2

Post by ladybug15057 »

A little reminder too, check the substrate temp which can be different and there should also be a cooler side of about 70-73* F
Reason I asked about substrate, a few years ago some found their hermies were not hardening very fast. I asked them to provide a dry area for them and within a week the hermies began to darken quite nicely. (and for food, remember the beta carotene too for coloring)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

With Nibs, she ended up hardening on the surface until she was solid enough to walk around. Then she would eat, dig down, come up a day or two later, eat, etc. I moved her about two weeks after her digging started, once her coloring was back.

I did have one issue with aggression when I put her back into the main tank but it was easily solved by moving the aggressor into the food bowl that I'd just refilled. He ate, and hasn't bothered her since.

It took until now for her to lose her skittishness, but she's pretty calm at this point. She used to freak out when I'd walk by so much that she'd fall off/run off upper levels, etc. But she knows she's good now, I think - maybe she knows she can defend herself now?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by babesbarn »

This was a helpful section even for me who has had many successful molts with my three hermies. Spiderman (my first) now with me over 3 years and the size of a big golf ball. Too small for a size 2 inch shell and too big for the 1 1/2...all of them are like that.
Anyhow, my Spiderman was under for a long time maybe 1-2 months and is moving around a lot underneath the substrate. I did see him and noticed he has pale legs but he still is moving around and under the substrate. I am wondering when he will appear topside now. Once he does I would like to bring him to the other NEW tank and place with his brothers. His brothers I moved today. I also notice he starts making chirping sounds when he is left by himself in his tank. sort of knows he is all by himself. Wonder if I should just move him. Any thoughts on this since he is done molting?
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

If the sounds are really high pitched, they're probably legs on glass. That's when I know I can go peek in at a buried hermie - you can definitely hear those squeaks. Kind of like nails on a chalkboard.

Don't move him until a week or so after he reappears topside. Give him some time to finish recovering mentally.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.