molter eaten alive by ants

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
zara
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 145
Total tanks: 3

molter eaten alive by ants

Post by zara »

hi i have only just found this site today so please excuse me if im doing anything the wrong way. First thing thismorning i noticed my crabitat was covered in ants. On further inspection i found that one of my hermies was completely covered in ants and they seemed to be feasting on him! I immediately grabbed him and put him in his saltwater bowl to get them off. He was completely limp and motionless and slid straight out of his shell, i had to quickly catch him so he would not fall completely out. The ants all came off in the bath, however they had done some injuries to my poor little hermie. he had a hole completely through one of his legs and a couple more are hanging by threads. I thought he was dead as he was unresponsive but as i started to cry i felt a slight movement of one of his claws. HE WAS BEING EATEN ALIVE!!! He is alive.... just :'( I moved him to the iso tank and hoped for the best. He tried to leave his shell and i gently slid him back in. He isnt moving he has been in the same position for 18 hours now, half out of the shell just laying there, not trying to defend or protect himself, i get the impression he is unable to move like he is too weak to even crawl. I found a empty claw and a few legs in the main tank where he was so i assume he was molting at the time. Is there anything else i can do to help my little mate? should i try to feed or give water or moisten gills for him until he can himself or just leave him alone?? im extremely stressed and worried for him. I really feel that he is not going to make it :'(

What is the volume of your main tank?
15 gallon

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
2 small hermies

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
just over a year

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
play sand 2-3 inches deep

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
fresh food everyday, mainly fruit, nuts, cooked meat, sometimes i give them plain cereal like corn flakes or rice bubbles.

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
Bottled water and real ocean water

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
no

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
n/a

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
under tank heater, stuck underneath to one end. Although i hav'nt needed to use this for months because of the summer weather.

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
no this is the first time i have heard of calibrating them so i will be getting on to it asap.

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
21-28 degrees air temp and between 70-80% humidity

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
n/a

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post
not of him at this moment im trying not to disturb him any more but am happy to do if necessary.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: molter eaten alive by ants

Post by Wai »

Keep the tank warm and humid. The situation sounds quite bad, but there's a chance he may survive. Throw out the bedding and clean everything. Bathe the other crab too. Flush out their shells too, but don't bathe the moulter anymore.
Wai
zara
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 145
Total tanks: 3

Post by zara »

Thanks for the advice, I'm afraid i did'nt save him in time, he did'nt make it through the night. Judging by the rate of decomposition already, I believe he was dying and reached out to me one last time to say goodbye. At least he knows i got them off him and he died more comfortably. :( This is a fantastic place for crabbers its the best i've seen. When I first got my first crab around 4 years ago I looked for a site like this but all the ones i found were predominantly american based and i felt most of the information was not helpful to my situation. I don't know how i missed this site but glad i've now found some other people in australia who can help me when i need advice, Yesterday i found out in an emergencey situation, I find it hard to think straight.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

OS sorry on the lil guys! Hope you are ok.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Tetra8CClyPeatus
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 48
Total tanks: 2

Post by Tetra8CClyPeatus »

Ohh my god!! That's tragic!!
I am sorry !! :O
8 (Ceonobita Clypeatus) Hexxus, Lexxie, Hansel, Gretel, Vigo, Rancid, Nemo and Dalek11+ Successful Molts[/color]
My website:
http://lhccenterprise.freeforums.org/index.php