first time having to go threw molting.

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
StormLust
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

first time having to go threw molting.

Post by StormLust »

What is the volume of your main tank?
29 gallons

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
1 meduim/small (not sure on the size, cant messaure tell hes done moulting) 1 meduim/large (not to sure dont want to messaure him only cause i might cause harm to the one that is moulting seeing as my moulter is under the hide hut where where he is currntly hiding) im pretty sure my other 2 are xl's but i could be wrong.

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
i got thw first three in november of 2011 (the 2 purple pincers i got from my aunt the 3rd i got from petco 2 weeks later) but im more consierd about the one that is moulting.

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
sand (going from memmory here) i belive it is the zoo med sand that petco carries for hermit crabs.

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
Hermit Crab Food By Zoo Med

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
only fresh water purchased from ither petco or pets mart it comes bottled (only cause some times there out of what i need)

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
none

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Bottled Salt Water Purchased from petco and or pets mart which ever has it in stock at the time i need to get more

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
heat pad made by zoo med for a 29 gallon tank attached under neath the tank rasied up to allow venaltion.

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
i have not gotten one yet its something i know i need to get and at the current moment i dont have the money to get it yet.

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?

unknown

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
(best answer i can give) there is a nice layer of sand where the heat pad is so it is warm to the touch but the rest is cool to the touch.

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
dont want to dig up the one im worried about seeing as i know hes moulting. right now i cant find my camra so i cant get any pics as of yet.

there is that info seeing as i am new to the forums and all.

ive had three hermit crabs sences november when my aunt came back with 2 H crabs from her trip to the beach. well its now febuary and when i stoped seeing it sences january i figured it was moulting this being my first time going threw it and haveing a ever bad experices the last time i ownd hermit crabs i got worried when i found it uncoverd and the fish smell so i came to here read ever thing but yet im still worried that something bad might happen because it was dug up.

but wheb i first noticed it was possable gonna start moulting i kept an eye on where he coverd him sleff up at i had at one point found my thrid crab trying to dig where he barried him slef so i moved him away and pushed more sand over the area and places a shell i had in the tank over that area so he would not be destrubed.

but after find that he had been dug up i am afraid that something bad may happen and seeing as i dont have the funds to set up a tank for him to moult in private is there anything eles i can do to help keep him from being dug up again. i cant find my camar right now but i can ask to barrow one from a friend if pictures will help any one best help me.