2 First time molters at the same time int he same tank

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
britbart
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

2 First time molters at the same time int he same tank

Post by britbart »

I've had my hermit crabs since early July of this year. Since then, I've been researching a lot and just recently realized I needed to have a salt water dish in the tank so they can molt. Shortly after I put this in the tank Marco began molting. The other hermit crab Bart kept trying to dig him up and finally he disappeared under the sand to molt as well. Should I be worried about Marco since it's been almost a month since he's been buried? I also worry about Bart getting harmed when Marco comes out of his molt (if he does). I know i'm probably being overly worried, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this happen before.

I don't have an isolation tank, just a 5 gallon tank with coconut and sand substrate in it.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: 2 First time molters at the same time int he same tank

Post by Wai »

If they are buried in different areas then you don't need to worry. Otherwise, if they are near each other, separate them and put a divider in the tank to split it in two halves. Make sure they can't dig under or climb over the barrier.
Wai
britbart
Zygote
Zygote

Post by britbart »

I'm not sure where they are buried in the tank. I have an idea, but I don't want to risk stressing them out by digging around them to find them. Do you think it would be bad to move the sand a little bit to see if I can find them?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

A rough idea is fine, as long as they are reasonably apart.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

No, don't dig around even a little. It will stress them. Just check on them frequently throughout each day, and place a separator if and when one comes up before the other, since you have a rough idea of where they are.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
britbart
Zygote
Zygote

Post by britbart »

Just an update Marco came out and he looks great and is doing really good too :) He hasn't been bothering Bart (who should be coming up soon) so I think all is well. Thanks for the input!