Dug up my molter....

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Dug up my molter....

Post by D'sCrabs »

I dug up a molting crab. I thought he was on other side in a hole.. so I was cleansing the other side of the tank... oops. He immediately dug back down while I ran to store to get another iso tank.. what should I do now...
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Dug up my molter....

Post by Wai »

Set up a barrier around him and leave a dish of fresh water and salt water in there with him.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

One can end up with as many iso's as they do hermies. A divider like Wai suggested is a good idea or one can fit at least 4 of those mini ck'er (critter) keepers in a 10 gal tank. Less expensive and already an iso with proper temp and humidity. One can also add a small terracotta pot for shelter and still fit small caps of water in the keeper... Good luck!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by D'sCrabs »

I ended up just leaving him alone as he had already dug down and the others are not bugging him if that changes I had a piece of plexiglass cut to divide the tank.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

That's ok as long as you realize you're leaving it up to chance, as they could disturb him in the night and there would be nothing you could do to save him in that case.
I know this sounds like a dire warning, but it is the reality of it. I myself have never really sectioned off my molters when I knew where they were, and they did have some mishaps, while many others did fine. It is completely up to you, if you are willing to let nature take it's course, just know the risks.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by D'sCrabs »

Uggg.... Really don't know what to do at this point... He has moved but I don't know were since theres 3 new holes and all my other crabs are accounted for, don't know were he is at.... Who knew crabs could cause so much mischief!! LOL...
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by babesbarn »

Jumbo has been under the coconut husk in a corner for about two or three weeks. He is ok and I see him there, nothing going on, not dead either. I can see him on the side of the tank because he put himself there wedged deep. I know the other two Spiderman and Hercules can get to him but they are not interested in him and sometimes go sleep on top of that area and just come back over to their food dish. I give them lots of goodies so they must be satisfied. I give them shrimp brim as well as oak leaves and good foods that they seem to enjoy. They hang out together and on the other side of the tank almost allowing my Jumbo to be alone in peace. It is summer now and even see them more active and one day it was so hot I put them inside the air conditioned room and it was fine because they had the right humidity inside the tank and not dry. And they had a small heater near the rear. So they were comfy. I have had Spiderman 11 months now and the others a month or so less time but they are ok. XD