molt?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

molt?

Post by bennynlewie »

so benny i cleaned out the whole tank and put half sand half dirt in there with a bath and sponge..a plant and shells and usually they bury themselves pretty quickly and this time lewie did but benny didnt he sat in the food dish for hours just eating so i was like hmm maybe he just loves the food but this morning he was sitting in there again because he hadnt buried himself so i put more food in there and he moved and he had eaten everything...usually it hardly looks like they ate anything but this time benny ate it all and wanted more..do u think hes molting? just in case i put him in the iso tank with sand but he hasnt buried himself yet...do u think hes molting or what?
lilhermitgirl17
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhermitgirl17 »

I have read that they will eat lots before they molt. I would just keep food in front of him and just watch. If he's in Iso then you don't have anything to worry about. :D
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

okey dokey thanks
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

How much food did you put in? He might be making his molt sac :D.
Last edited by Wai on 12 Apr 2005, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Wai
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

i put in a tiny bit of lettuce..tiny of turkey and a tiny of carrot..and since i saw him eating it i put in a lil more of eat then this morning i put in a little more of each and he ate all of the turkey and the lettuce in like 2 minutes after i put it in there and just left the carrot so i put in some of that hermit crab food stuff
lilhermitgirl17
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhermitgirl17 »

I don't know about my smaller hermies, can't tell when they eat much, But my larger one likes breaded things, I crush a few cheerios up for it and he likes them lots. :D I don't know if it is specificly good for them for any one mineral or anything, but I guess that the fiber is good for them...
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

ya i put in some cereal too
Hannah
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Hannah »

He's not molting right now but it looks like he is pre-molt so as soon as he shows signs of wanting to dig (if he is still in the main tank) put him in ISO right away.
If any problems, PM or

email an Administrator or Moderator!!!
Our site: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com
This is my sister's story- http://pages.ivillage.com/luvne
If

my advice doesn't help, PM, IM, or email me at blondey42992@yahoo.com
Thanks!!