Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Which Water Dish

Post by jackandshelly »

Hello,

My first post here. We got 3 crabs in October. Just one left.. Shelly, the biggest of the three is still doing great. I think she may have eaten another crab when it started molting. She then molted. I have a bigger dish now with salt water in it. Still a small one with fresh water. Would it be better to have a big container of salt water or fresh?

Other question.. The other two took to bigger shells but Shelly has always stayed in the yellow painted shell. I did buy shells online but she never took to any. I'll try to post a picture of her tat and shells soon. Thank you.
Sara Cobbler
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 2

Re: Which Water Dish

Post by Sara Cobbler »

I think that fresh water is more important than salt water, because crabs can't survive without fresh, but they can go without salt water for short periods of time. Of course that isn't recommended, but if they had to, they could.

As for your second question, I would just wait and see what happens. Shelly should be able to pick a bigger shell when she needs to.
My crabs' names are: Angela, Bubbles, Sandy, and Shelldon
jackandshelly
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Re: Which Water Dish

Post by jackandshelly »

Thanks for thoughtful reply! She seems to collect the coconut bark pieces from the substrate to eat and isn’t eating much else. I’ll try the pond as freshwater. She doesn’t get in the salty, just sips it from the side.