Murdoc
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 3

Brackish Water Safe?

Post by Murdoc »

I'm not a new-new hermit crab dad, I had them all the time as a kid. Per say.

But recently adopted a jumbo and a tiny from my nephew (who was naturally terrified of them.) I have a nice set up main terrarium for now. With more hermit crab buddies (I hope to move up to a larger tank in time.). With all the things they need and simulating their natural environment with lots of digging and sand and the coconut stuff and all. I invested at least 200+ USD in all this.

My main question is that can I substitute their salt water dish with brackish water. I did a... taste test lol from the water that's pretty much in my back yard. I live on the Chesapeake Bay. The saltiness of the water tastes the same as the salt levels on the bottled hermit crab salt water I've been buying for them (and boy do these guys love drinking that stuff up!). Obviously I wouldn't be using the brackish water this week because we had a tonne of rain. But when the rain washes away the water gets saltier again.

I read in some places that the solution you can mix with fresh water isn't as good as the natural water found in salt water so I wanted to know.

Also, just in case. If I happen to go back down to the Atlantic Ocean any time soon would that water be find if I took a few gallons home with me.

Thanks!!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Brackish Water Safe?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Due to impurities due to hurricanes, boats, parasites, etc. I would suggest not to use the brackish water. If they appeared to like it, it could be the salt content they are after. It would be best to mix their ocean water with an ocean salt made specifically for salt water fish tanks.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.