POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Bottled Water HELP!!!

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All....I have just found some info on my bottle water(been using it for the crabs waters) label next to ingredients(says 100% natural spring water) that says Typical Analysis=Chloride 9mg/L, Sodium 9mg/L, Calcium 3mg/L, Magnesium 3.1mg/L, Potassium <1mg/L and Bicarbonate 26mg/L....Im assuming these are harmful but would like to know for sure and what ingredients are safe if any...I was planning on getting bottles of destilled water and upon calling my Mum she has looked at the only destilled water in Kmart and its for ironing, watering plants, car batteries but says do not drink, so if its not ok for me to drink that also apply to the crabs...right?...Is there any safe bottled water i can get from the store without using the aquarium dechlorination method(just because its a pain to mix)....Also i have Blue Planet Aquarium Salt(was recommended on here to get aquarium salt) and the mix seems too little, it states that 1litre needs 1gram of salt but this doesnt sound like the ocean consistency, Is this correct?
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Re: Bottled Water HELP!!!

Post by POPPIT »

I just found this on the Petstock website called Aquatopia Fighterwater, is this ok to use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Distilled is just fine for crabs. I'd recommend it over the one you posted a picture of - price alone is going to beat out the tiny little expensive bottle anyday.

I'm confused why it says not for human consumption. It would have fewer additives in it and minerals too, but there's no reason why a distilled water isn't safe.

Is your aquarium salt for a SALTWATER aquarium? There are also freshwater aquarium salts to help keep the water in a freshwater aquarium from being too hard.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks for the reply Emma, Im not sure why it said that maybe it hasnt been treated for human consumption but could be fine for animals possibly, probably better then the water i have been using....Yes your right on price regarding the Aquatopia water at $10.99 956ml...the aquarium salt i have says a natural remedy for freshwater fish...can i still use it but up the dose, if so do you know how many spoons/grams per litre of something? Or should i just buy different salt from the other pet store?
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Oh My....I have just read amongst the tiny writing on the aquarium salt bottle that it adds natural electrolytes such as sodium, calcium, magnesium and chloride!!!....Aw how frustrating!!! I will have to go to the stores to try and find safe water and salt.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Distilled water and saltwater aquarium salt and your crabbies should be happy. The minerals added by a freshwater mix vs. a saltwater mix are very different, so go for the saltwater mix (without stress coat).

Natural electrolytes aren't a problem...the issue is that they're incomplete from what your crabs need from their environment. A saltwater mix is going to add a whole lot MORE minerals than those listed on the salt you have right now, which is good. Don't worry about that.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Ok thanks will get the distilled water and saltwater aquarium salt now.....Hopefully the water that i have used hasnt done too much to them.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I couldn't find any appropriate bottle water and the API Aquarium Salt was for freshwater fish and had no ingredients listed...its probably not safe but i just got Zoo Meds salt water conditioner says it adds calcium and natural sea salt and removes chlorine, chloramines and ammonia..ingredients are Water..natural sea salt..clorAm-X..organic polymers and FDC yellow#5...no idea how bad those are...I also got API tap water conditioner....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

Hi Poppit,

I know the API aquarium salt that you found, but it is for use in freshwater aquariums. It creates a brackish (half salty half fresh e.g. At outlets of rivers into the sea) conditions for curtains fish e.g. Mollies, or it is sometimes used to aid in the prevention/cure of some fish diseases. Thus, as you suspected is not the full strength that marine grade aquariums aka. The sea would have. I'm not sure about the ingredients in the Zoo Med product, however the API conditioner should be fine, although if you wanted a first grade conditioner I would go with Prime - a personal preference.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

After reading this I take back my post I was going to do about having to freeze my toes off collect water from the ocean this time of year lol I think I will just be grateful I'm not trying to buy it.

Try telling the staff you are setting up a salt water aquarium for clown fish :-), and leave out the bit about it being for hermit crabs. If you mention the crabs that will just confuse the heck out of them.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com