Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Air stones versus filters

Post by Wai »

Perhaps some experts on fish can enlighten me?

Yesterday, I decided to replace the filtering system (which needed cleaning, not crystal clear like the old photos below!) with a much simpler air stone system that I used to use. See the pictures below.

Filters:
555 554
Advantages: Possibly requires less frequent cleaning. I just add more water if the water level drops. I empty the whole thing and give it a good clean at least once every two months (lazy me). Filters trap some (but not all) debris in the water. Quiet to run. All of the crabs can fully submerge themselves.
Disadvantages: Annoying to clean (takes me at least half an hour to finish cleaning one). Every now and then the water doesn't flow out of the filter very well, indicating that it needs a good clean. The glass gems may slip under the filter if the crabs pull and tug at the filter, causing the filter to rise out of the water and air builds up inside it, so I would have to shake all the air out of it to get it to stay in the water. The crabs don't seem to enjoy climbing in and out of the water and I can imagine how annoying it might be for some of them, although I can't read their minds to be sure.

Ceramic air stones:
Advantages: Easy to replace the water, which encourages me to change it more frequently (perhaps once every two or three days). Possibly healthier for the crabs in the long run and keeps them happy since the jacuzzis are easy to climb in and out of.
Disadvantages: No filters involved. The air stones are very noisy, but this is probably due to the air pump being too powerful. I only have the dual outlet pump (which is running now) and a smaller single outlet pump (which might be too weak to run two air stones). The larger crabs like Eris can't fully submerge himself in the water, but he can submerge his eyes in it.

Should I run the air stones non-stop or only for a certain number of hours a day. I'm worried that the hermit crabs don't enjoy the loud noise (unlike the more natural splashing sounds that the filters gave).
Wai
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Re: Air stones versus filters

Post by Purple pinchers »

To make the noise quieter could put one large rock or several smaller ones on top of the airstone. This should make some of the air traped under the rocks and let out a steady stream of quiet bubbles. (I ave done this in a large tank but never tryed it in a small tub) I have found my crabs dont realy mind noise, Like when i vacume they still eat,drink,play etc.
*Pack Rat*
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I have now covered the air stones with glass gems to dampen the noise. Thanks!
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

you can still use your old water dishes with the filters, take them out and then you have a longer stream of bubbles which mean you can place more stones on the of the air stone.
Last edited by aussieJJDude on 27 Feb 2015, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
kathycrabcrazy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by kathycrabcrazy »

Hi Wai, where do you get your filters/air stones from?

Should a filter be put in both water bowels (salt and normal)?
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

I'm not sure I'm following what the air stones are for?
I use them to oxygenate my goldfish tank, they don't have anything to do with keeping it clean though. Are you just finding the water stays fresh longer? Is that what you mean?

I would always choose a system where the crabs can fully submerge themselves. Do you need to fully remove to clean? Maybe something where the reservoir sits inside another container so you can just swap out the one to be cleaned?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

Airstones will help keep your humidity in your tank up, though if you don't have deep enough pools they will create splatter around the walls of your tank near them.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Annette, I was reading your blog for the first time and wondered, do you heat the pond in your tank? I have changed the format of the ponds in my tank many times, but I rarely see mine sitting or bathing in them. Rather, they tend to just sit on the side and drink from the side of the pond. Could it be that the water isn't warm enough for them?

You take brilliant photos by the way. I was amused by your reference to a certain someone in the USA claiming that Aussies will gorge on salt water and die. We had some drama back in 2010... Marie (ladybug15057) would recall that too. XD
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

No I don't heat the water but It's body temp really, just because of the air temperature in there.

You know I noticed that with the little guy we adopted. I put a large deep container in his when he finally came back up for him to have a long soak but never saw him in it. I've seen him hanging out in my big one though. I wonder if it warms more because it's got a bigger surface area? I'd put it down to being running water in a way because of the filter but you have a filter so it can't be that.

And yeah couldn't help myself with the water, bit like saying careful your chickens will gorge and die on worms lol
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

You know just had another thought, I heat above with ceramic heaters, if you heat from below that could make my water warmer.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011