Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Best Brand and Tank Design for 120+ Gallons

Post by ColoradoCrabs4 »

Hello!

I am very excited as we are moving and I am designating a large space for our 4 crabs. I would really like to do something tall and something that will be their forever home. I recognize that this may not be cheap, but I am willing and able to spend the money to get this right.

Are there any tall terrariums out there that would meet the crabs' needs? If not, I can accept that we have to do a long aquarium but figured I would ask to see if anyone else has found a model that works for them.

The best tall option I am seeing so far is the REPTIZOO Reptile Knock Down Glass Terrarium With Double Hinge Door 24" X 24" X 48"(120 Gallon)https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/reptizo ... html?piid=". I will put plexiglass on the top to maintain humidity, and may fasten some to the screen section along the sides as well. This appears to be the only model with a deep enough bottom area (all others being 6" or 15 cm).

Open to larger setup suggestions as well.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Best Brand and Tank Design for 120+ Gallons

Post by Wai »

With a taller aquarium, you need to factor in what heat source you will use, as it is generally more difficult to create a temperature gradient. With a long tank, it is easy to put the heat source on one end of the tank only and then other end of the tank will naturally be cooler. Having said that though, there are crabbers out there who have used tall tanks with success. I have never used a tall tank; just check through the Crab Care section for general tips.
Wai
ColoradoCrabs4
Zygote
Zygote

Post by ColoradoCrabs4 »

Thank you, @Wai! That makes sense and is certainly an important factor to consider. I wonder if I could do heating tape strips one edge of the tank and underneath of it (say along the right side) and make sure that there is symmetry along either side of the tanks in terms of perches, substrate and water access, etc. so that one half would be cooler than the other.

I will do a search in the forum to see what heat setups for the tall tanks work for others!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Keep in mind, there will also be temperature gradients from front to back, as its both tall and wide. My 150g tank (when I had it) had a temperature gradient from the back where the heat pad was to the front, as well as a slight humidity gradients. So I wouldn't stress too much about that personally.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ColoradoCrabs4
Zygote
Zygote

Post by ColoradoCrabs4 »

Thank you! That’s great to know!