Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Is this tank OK?

Post by Arirang »

Hello, all!

I'm considering upgrading my four crabbums (Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel) to a larger tall tank. It will be an increase in size horizontally as well as vertically. I've looked online, and no one has any guidance on if tall tanks are okay. Obviously, they like to climb, and I would facilitate this. However, I would wonder if a taller tank might be a hazard? I've never really researched to see how far they can fall and not get hurt, or what the probability of them falling /is/. Like most people, I've considered hermit crab climbing to be impossible and perilous, despite being proven wrong over and over- it just looks like it shouldn't work!

Linked is the tank I am considering. I have a strong Asian theme in all of my various terrariums and aquarium, and this one is simply beautiful. If I get it, I will have a very intricate arboreal playground to give them lots of exercise, and may even see about rigging a second level with a small amount of substrate.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... 75701.html
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Is this tank OK?

Post by Wai »

It's quite expensive though; have you tried looking for cheaper tanks?
Wai
Arirang
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10

Post by Arirang »

I get an employee discount and know how to get sweet coupons. The only thing I'm genuinely worried about is the height- will it hurt them if they fall from the top? It'll mostly be soft substrate or their little grass hut and stuff, but if they hit their water dish...
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

It will be fine, Ive had them in 2ft tall tanks in the past (and know other crabbers who have their crabs in tanks thats even taller)..... Remember, you will be adding somewhere in excess of 6 inch of substrate, which does reduce climbing height a bit.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.