POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Hammock Update!!!

Post by POPPIT »

So I bought this off ebay and have just added sphagnum moss to it...They haven't climbed up it yet but hopefully tonight they would have adjusted to this new thing in their tank(i put it in there yesterday 5pm) and get curious enough to check it out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Hammock Update!!!

Post by emmac350 »

Your tank is looking pretty good, Poppit! I like the hammock.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Emma...It gives it a jungle style look...I have noticed a smell kind of like hemp clothing i smelt once...Its like a pretty strong grassy smell with a hint of kerosene..package said 100% natural and safe for reptiles etc..Is this what jute smells like..it feels natural...One of my crabs had a good climb on it last night for the first time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Did you do anything to the hammock before putting it in the tank? Giving it a boil in salt water or fresh might help get rid of the smell.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

No i didn't...Its woven together and partly held together with small ropes but it could fall apart if i soak it...
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

If it's strong enough to hold your crabs' weight it won't fall apart when it's soaked. Soaking will swell the fibers and make it hold itself together more tightly.

Mommy to:

POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Hmmm...ok...if the smell doesn't go (i might leave the gap in the glass lid uncovered to air it out)i might soak it....the weather is pretty miserable atm so need to wait for a bit of sun to dry it...its not all that flexible so hopefully soaking it wont make it stiffer
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I wonder if the seller imported it and being a natural fibre they treated it with something to kill bugs in quarentine.

Once had a woven basket that sat under a casserole dish that smelled so strongly it used to make me wheeze. I aired it for months but the smell never went. I threw it in the end it was so strong.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Besides Chakotay climbing it once and sitting at bottom of it once on a different night...they have been very inactive compared to the days/nights before the hammock went in i am worried the smell it affecting them...either that or its a scary big thing staring at them lol...but even Chakotay has been less active and he has already climbed it....im going to take it out tonight and soak it in salt water to see if the smell will go
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Try to give the tank a little more ventilation as well to get rid of any residual smell.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com